Phillip C. Russell
  b: 1807 - Grayson Co., VA
  d: ~1884 - Tazewell Co., VA - bur: Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff

Father: Phillip Russell, Jr.
Mother: Rebeckah Russell

Spouse-1: Lucy Perkins
  m: 9/Apr/1837 - Grayson Co., VA

Child-1: Stephen Campbell - b: 5/Jan/1838 - Grayson Co., VA
                                             d: 12/May/1912 - Corpus Christi, Nueces Co., TX
                                            m: Malvina Virginia Perkins - 19/Jan/1866 - Grayson Co., VA
          2: Phillip Francis - b: 1839/1840 - VA
                                      d: 1864 - VA
          3: James Fleming - b: 11/Feb/1842 - Grayson Co., VA
                                       d: 10/Jul/1925 - Grayson Co., VA - bur: Russell-Testerman Cem.
                                      m: Martha Leticia Ross - 19/Aug/1869 - Grayson Co., VA

Spouse-2: Anna Parks - b: Apr/1826 - Grayson Co.,  VA
  d: 1909 - Tazewell Co., VA - bur: Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff
  m: 9/May/1843?

Child-1: Martha - b: 17/Apr/1843 - VA
                            d: 22/Sep/1906
                           m: Almassine Jones - 14/Nov/1867 - Tazewell Co., VA
          2: William P. - b: 1846/1847 - VA - nra: 1850
          3: Sarah Matilda - b: 10/Jul/1849 - Grayson Co., VA
                                      d: 21/Feb/1939 - Mercer Co., WV - bur: Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co., VA
                                     m: William Buck Hilton - 6/Sep/1885 - Tazewell Co., VA
          4: Aaron Amaniah - b: 26/Nov/1851 - VA
                                        d: 26/Dec/1935 - bur: Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co., VA
                                       m: Mary Jane Smith - 23/Dec/1875 - Grayson Co., VA
          5: Rebecca or Lucy - b: 11/May/1854 - Grayson Co., VA - nra: 1860
          6: M. Reece - b: 15/Oct/1856 - Grayson Co., VA
                                d: ~1895
                               m: Sarah Alice Christian - 30/Jan/1888 - Tazewell Co., VA
          7: John Floyd - b: 4/May/1858 - VA
                                 d: 15/Feb/1939 - bur: Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co., VA
                                m: Virginia Alice Houchins - 17/Sep/1883 - Russell Co., VA
          8: Jefferson Lafayette - b: 18/Jan/1862 - Grayson Co. VA
                                             d: 18/Feb/1944 - Stevens Clinic Hosp., Welch, McDowell Co., WV - bur: Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co., VA
                                            m: Nancy Lula O'Dell - 1891/1892

Biographical Details:

The third surviving son of Philip, Jr., and Rebeckah Russell was Phillip C. Russell, who was born about 1807 presumably in Grayson County, Virginia.  As with other members of his family, it seems likely that he would have spent his childhood and adolescence living on his father's farm.  Phillip C. Russell was married to Lucy Perkins on April 9, 1837, by Jonathan Thomas.  Subsequently, in September of 1841 Phillip evidently bought out four of the other heirs to land included in his father's estate.1  Accordingly, the household of "Philip Russel" was included in the population schedule of the 1840 US Census for Grayson County and consisted of an adult male of between thirty and forty years of age, an adult female of between twenty and thirty years, and two young males both under the age of five.  Evidently, the two adults must have been Phillip and Lucy Perkins Russell.  Moreover, when the will of Stephen Perkins, Lucy's father, was probated in August of 1844, three grandsons, Stephen C., Phillip Francis, and James Fleming Russell, were named explicitly as children of Lucy, which provides circumstantial evidence that Lucy was already deceased by this time.  Accordingly, one of the sons indicated by the 1840 population schedule can definitely be identified as Stephen C. Russell (who subsequently was living with his wife in Grayson County in 1870).2  In addition, it is known that James Fleming Russell was born in 1842; hence, the other son must have been Phillip Francis and it seems likely that he was born in 1839 or 1840, but very little definite is known about him.3  In contrast, descendants of Stephen C. and James Fleming Russell have been well documented.4  Unfortunately, further details concerning the family of Phillip C. Russell remain in a very confused state.  No listing for the household can be found in any census records of 1850.  Even so, it is clear that at the time of the 1850 census Phillip and Lucy's son, James Fleming, was living in the same household as his grandmother, Rebeckah Russell, and his uncle and aunt, James and Matilda Phipps Russell.  Likewise, a ten year old boy, Frank Russell, was living in the household of George and Phebe Russell Shuler.  Considering his age and that "Frank" can be a diminutive for "Francis", it is almost certain that this boy should be identifed as Phillip and Lucy's second son, Phillip Francis.  Therefore, although the whereabouts of Phillip and Lucy's remaining son, Stephen C., has not been determined, it seems probable that none of the three sons were living with their father in 1850.  Subsequently, the household of Phillip Russell did appear in the population schedule of the 1860 US Census for Grayson County and consisted of Phillip, age fifty-three; his wife, Ann, age twenty-eight; and seven minor children from two to sixteen years of age.  In addition, Stephen C. Russell, age twenty-two, was living in the household of Elijah Perkins, and apparently working as a hired hand.  Within this context, some researchers identify Ann as a daughter of Phillip C. Russell; however, her indicated age implies that she was born at the very least, several years before the accepted wedding date of Phillip Russell and Lucy Perkins.  Therefore, this presumption would imply that either Phillip was married to an unknown wife prior to his marriage to Lucy Perkins or that Ann was illegitimate.  Alternatively, it is evident that she was not Phillip's daughter at all, but was, in fact, his second wife, Ann or Anna Parks.  This conclusion is supported by the Grayson County Register of Births, which indicates a daughter, Lucy, born to Phillip and Ann Russell on May 11, 1854, and also a son born to them on October 15, 1856.  This son can be unambiguously identified from census records as Reece, but no daughter named Lucy appeared in the 1860 population schedule.  This may imply that she died before reaching the age of six and, thus, was not included in subsequent census records, but it seems more likely from the birth intervals for the children implied by the 1860 population schedule, that she and a daughter, Rebecca, appearing in the census, were actually the same person.  (Even so, neither Lucy nor Rebecca appear in later census records, which implies that this daughter probably died as a child sometime in the 1860's.)  A more difficult issue is that the date, May 9, 1869, is commonly asserted for the marriage of Phillip Russell and Ann Parks, which, obviously, is far to late.  (It is possible that Phillip and Anna lived together in a common law relationship until 1869, but considering customs of the time, this does not seem likely.)  Consequently, one may suppose that the date has been transcribed incorrectly from some difficult to read, handwritten source.  In any case, it seems a reasonable presumption that Anna Parks married Phillip C. Russell about 1843, shortly after the death of his first wife.  Concomitantly, the short interval between Lucy's death and Phillip's remarriage may have caused some estrangement between Phillip and his three older sons since they evidently lived with other extended family members rather than in the household of their father after his remarriage.  In passing, the name of Phillip Russell can be found in several Grayson County civil records dating from the early 1860's.5  Moreover, Phillip appears to have been a supporter of the Confederacy because he not only furnished a saddle valued at fifteen dollars for the Grayson County Cavalry in 1861, he, perhaps, also named his youngest son after the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis.  Indeed, it seems that his three older sons all served with the Forty-fifth Regiment, Virginia Infantry, Confederate States Army.6,7  Of these, Stephen and James Fleming evidently survived the war (although James was captured and interned at Camp Chase from May, 1864, to May, 1865), but it is reported that Philip Francis (Frank) Russell was killed in action in 1864; however, the location of any associated engagement remains uncertain.  Concomitantly, Phillip Russell was assessed tax on ten acres of land near Panther Creek and twenty-five acres of land near Fox Creek in 1863; however, by 1870 Phillip and Anna Russell and their children had apparently left Grayson County and settled in Maiden Spring Township in Tazewell County, Virginia.  The motivation for their relocation is not known; however, it seems that they spent the remainder of their lives in this locality.  Phillip C. Russell died sometime between 1880 and 1900, perhaps, about 1884, but an exact date is not known.7  Anna Parks Russell evidently survived until 1909 and was buried in the Jones Chapel Cemetery.  Accordingly, the population schedule of the 1900 US Census for Tazewell County, indicates that Anna Russell was a widow living in the household of her son, Jefferson, and, furthermore, she indicated that she had been born in April of 1826 and was the mother of eight children, five of whom were then still living.  Of these eight children, one or two of them had probably died young.  In addition, it appears that her son, Reece, had also died by this time, since his widow, Sarah, had remarried to William L. Bragg about 1898.  Moreover, the family of Phillip C. and Anna Parks Russell seems to have been particularly inconsistent in reporting ages in successive census population schedules.  The reason for this is not known, but it could have been a consequence of poor literacy or to the natural secretiveness of mountain people (or both).  Naturally, such inconsistencies have proven quite troublesome for later family researchers.
Source Notes and Citations:
1. Cited by Ms. Trula Purkey:  Deed dated September 16, 1841:
      "..... Sold to Phillip Russell, Jr., (Phillip C. Russell) for $500, located on Fox Creek, Witnessed by James Parks, June term Grayson County Court 1842,  Attest: James Brewer, James Parks, Jr., Samuel Perkins."
The deed was signed by:
      "Michael Shuler & Anna Shuler
       Alford Cornutt & Elizabeth Cornutt
       Joseph Bonham & Tabitha Bonham
       Samuel Russell & Susan (?) Russell"
(Deed Bk. 9, Grayson Co., VA, pg. 256, Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA,  (microfilm: roll - City and County Records #5).)
back to bio.

2. Jeffrey C. Weaver and James J. Stamper, "Annotated 1870 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County - Wilson District", Grayson County Hist. Soc., P. O. Box 529, Independence, VA, 24348, 2003.
  55.  Russell, Stephen  31  Farmer        400          235
(Perkins), Virginia  27
           M. E.   3
"[Stephen Russell, s/o Phillip (s/o Phillip & Rebecca Russell) & Lucy Perkins Russell, Md. H. Virginia Perkins, d/o Samuel Perkins, 1/19/1866.]"  (Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.)
back to bio.

3. "Russell-Testerman Cemetery  Grayson Co., Virginia
      Location:  The cemetery is just off 601 in the Flat Ridge community.  It is located on the farm of James Fleming Russell (now owned by his great-grandson) within sight of the Flat Ridge School and on the same side of the road.  A farm building is adjacent to the road and the cemetery is within a fenced area behind that building and in front of the next.
      Coordinates: 36.694893 deg N; 81.344803 deg W
This cemetery contains no carved markers and has an indeterminate number of burials in it.  While it is shown as a Russell Cemetery on USGS maps, locally it is known as a Testerman Cemetery.  Information on burials was provided by Elmer Russell on 27 Mar 2003.  Information in square brackets was added by Ginger Ballard."

"Known to be buried here:
TESTERMAN, unknown family members - - -
RUSSELL, James Fleming [11 Feb 1842] [10 Jul 1925] [Co C, 45 Va CSA; h/o Martha Leticia Ross; s/o Phillip C. and Lucy Perkins Russell.  Death date is from Jeff Weaver's 'Grayson Countians in the Civil War' while Ramos and Kratz in 'Descendants of Phillip and Rebecca (Russell) Russell' indicate James Fleming Russell died 1 Sep 1923.]"  (Ginger Ballard (surv), "Russell-Testerman Cemetery", unpublished.  (Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.))
back to bio.

4. Descendants of Phillip C. Russell generally remained in western Virginia in either Grayson or Tazewell Counties; howeverr, some of them evidently moved to Texas before 1900:

First Generation

Phillip C. Russell, born 1807 in Grayson Co., VA, died ~1884 in Tazewell Co., VA; married on 9 Apr 1837 in Grayson Co., VA, Lucy Perkins.

1. Stephen Campbell Russell*, born 5 Jan 1838 in Grayson Co., VA, died 12 May 1912 Corpus Christi, Nueces Co., TX; married on 19 Jan 1866 in Grayson Co., VA, Malvina Virginia Perkins**, born 15 Jul 1841, died 19 Apr 1899 in Vernon, Wilbarger Co., TX.
2. Phillip Francis Russell, born 1839/1840 in VA, died 1864 in VA while serving in the Confederate Army.
3. James Fleming Russell, born 11 Feb 1842 in Grayson Co., VA, died 10 Jul 1925, buried Russell-Testerman Cem., Flat Ridge, Grayson Co., VA; married on 19 Aug 1869 in Grayson Co., VA, Martha Luticia Ross, born Mar 1849 in Grayson Co., VA, died 9 Jan 1923 in Grayson Co., VA, buried Russell-Testerman Cem.
married (2) on 9 May 1843?, Anna Parks, born Apr 1826 in Grayson Co., VA, died 1909 in Tazewell Co., VA, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff.
4. Martha Russell, born 17 Apr 1843 in VA, died 20 Sep 1906, buried Concord United Methodist Church Cem., Tazewell Co., VA; married on 14 Nov 1867 in Tazewell Co., VA, Almasine Jones, born 1846 in Tazewell Co., VA.
5. William P. Russell, born 1846/1847 in VA.  Evidently did not survive to aldulthood.
6. Sarah Matilda Russell, born 10 Jul 1849 in Grayson Co.,VA, died 21 Feb 1939 in Bluefield, Mercer Co., WV, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co., VA; married on 6 Sep 1885 in Tazewell Co., VA, William Buck Hilton, born 1840 in Tazewell Co., VA.  They had Viola M. Hilton.
7. Aaron Amaniah Russell, born 26 Nov 1851 in VA, died 26 Dec 1935, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co., VA; married on 23 Dec 1875 in Tazewell Co., VA, Mary Jane Smith, born 20 Oct 1860 in Russell Co., VA, died 19 May 1925 in Tazewell Co., VA, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff.  They had Louisa, (unnamed daughter), James N., Mertie, Dora, Joseph, William and Doak R. Russell.
8. Rebecca or Lucy Russell, born 15 May 1854 in Grayson Co., VA.  Evidently did not survive to aldulthood.
9. M. Reece Russell, born 15 Oct 1856 in Grayson Co., VA, died ~1895; married on 30 Jan 1888 in Tazewell Co. VA, Sarah Alice Christian, born 27 Feb 1869 in Tazewell Co., VA, died 4 Oct 1961 in McDowell Co., WV, buried Maple Hill Cem., Bluefield, Tazewell Co., VA.  They had Claiborne and Grant Reece Russell.
10. John Floyd Russell, born 4 May 1860 in Grayson Co., VA, died 15 Feb 1939 in Tazewell Co., VA, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff; married on 17 Sep 1883 in Russell Co., VA,, Virginia Alice Houchins, born 24 Aug 1867 in Patrick Co., VA, died 13 Sep 1946 in Tazewell Co., VA, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff.  They had Charles P., Reese Melvin, Mary D., Bessie J., Corrie Bell, Jefferson, and Gertrude Russell.
11. Jefferson Lafayette Russell, born 18 Jan 1862 in VA, died 18 Feb 1944, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff, Tazewell Co., VA; married 1891/1892, Nancy Lula O'Dell, born 8 Sep 1875 in Scott Co., VA, died 21 Mar 1960 in Tazewell Co., VA, buried Jones Chapel Cem., Cedar Bluff.  They had Media E., John M., Martha E., and Alexander George Russell.
*"Stephen C. Russell Was Buried Today  Lifelong Methodist and Mason for Fifty Years  Died at His Home Yesterday
     The funeral services of Stephen Campbell Russell, aged 74 years, who died yesterday morning at 10:15 o'clock, were held this afternoon at ... 5 o'clock, from the family residence, 808 Laredo Avenue.  Pastor T. F. ... sessions, of the Methodist Church conducted the services.  Undertaker Maxwell P. Dunne was in charge.  Death was due to old age.  Mr. Russell had resided in Corpus for two years, and was formerly in the produce business here with his son.  He had been a Mason and was a lifelong Methodist.  He was born in Grayson Co., Va."    Stephen C. Russell's middle name is affirmed by some researchers as "Calvin", but his obituary clearly indicates that it was "Campbell".   (obituary: Newspaper unknown, Corpus Christi, TX; cited by Shirley Campbell Ramos and Patricia Campbell Kratz, Descendants of Phillip and Rebecca Russell, Gregath Publishing Company, P. O. B. 505, Wyandotte, OK, 74370, 1997: pg. 51)

**"Russell-Mrs. M. V. Russell (nee Perkins), wife of S. C. Russell, was born July 15, 1841, and died at her home in Wilbarger County, Texas, April 19 1899.  She was married January 19, 1866, (?) and leaves a devoted husband one son and two daughters to sit under the shadow of that great sorrow - the loss of a Christian wife and mother; but the light of hope beams in upon their trusting hearts.  From her youth up Sister Russell had lived a consecrated, unselfish Christian.  She was converted and joined the Methodist Church when quite young and lived and died in the faith of her childhood.  Her death was unexpected and sudden.  She spent the day preceding in Vernon on business with her husband and appeared to be in her usual health.  About 3 o'clock in the morning the family was aroused to find her life swiftly going out, and in a few moments her release came.  We thank God that it mattered not to her at which watch of the night the Master called, for she was ready!  May his grace be sufficient for those she leaves behind, and especially the afflicted daughter, who was her tenderest care.  With the hosts of the redeemed shall meet to part no more, may not one of those she loved be missing."   (obituary: by Jerome Duncan, Newspaper unknown, Vernon, TX; cited op. cit. Ramos and Kratz: pgs. 51-2.)

a. Concord United Methodist Church Cemetery, Tazewell County, Virginia (, continuously updated).

b. Death Certificates, Virginia Department of Health, Richmond, VA, (Death Certificate No. 22910 - Bureau of Vital Statistics, Commonwealth of Virginia, Richmond, VA & Death Certificate No. 9373 - Bureau of Vital Statistics, Commonwealth of Virginia, Richmond, VA).

Second Generation

1. Stephen Campbell Russell married Malvina Virginia Perkins in Grayson County, Virginia.  She was the daughter of Samuel and Caroline Evaline Woods Perkins and the granddaughter of Stephen and Ruth Hitchcock Perkins.  After their marriage, they evidently settled near relatives in Virginia; however, it seems that Stephen C. and Virginia Russell moved to Texas sometime after 1880 (probably about 1890) and settled in or near the town of Vernon in Wilbarger County. After the death of his wife in 1899, Stephen evidently moved to Hildago County in the Rio Grande Valley and about 1910 to the city of Corpus Christi, where he died in 1912.

1-1. Mary Elvira (Molly) Russell, born 28 Oct 1866 in Grayson Co., VA, died 11 Sep 1946 in Brooks Co., TX, buried Falfurrias Burial Park; married on 11 Aug 1894, Francis Marion Birchfield, born Jan 1846 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL, died 1914 in Brooks Co., TX, buried Falfurrias Burial Park.  They had Vera Lillian, Earl Russell, Thomas Jefferson, Ruth Virginia, Hazel Hester, and Marion Lila Birchfield.
1-2. Lillian E. Russell, born 28 Jun 1875 in Grayson Co., VA, died 20 Mar 1902, buried Paradise Cem., Wilbarger Co., TX.  Evidently never married.
1-3. Francis Erastus (Bud) Russell, born 15 Aug 1878 in Grayson Co., VA, died 4 Jul 1947 in Whitney, Hill Co., TX, buried Bethlehem Cem.; married on 10 May 1903, Ivy Estelle Tunnell, born 14 May 1885 in Commanche, TX, died 22 Feb 1981 in Pasadena, TX, buried Bethlehem Cem, Hill Co., TX.  They had Frances Irene, Myrtle Vivian, Bernice Virginia, Dorothy, and Frank Edwin Russell.
c. Register of Births, 1853-1870, Grayson Co., VA, pg. 167, Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA, (microfilm: roll - City and County Records #19)(Billie White and Ginger Ballard (comp), Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.)

d. Census records indicate that in 1860 Stephen C. Russell was living in the household of Elijah Perkins.  Children of Stephen C. and Virginia Perkins Russell are affirmed by census records.  (1860 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 171, (microfilm roll - M653_1348; img. 172); 1870 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 217B, (microfilm roll - M593_1649; img. 436); 1880 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 411B, (microfilm: roll T9_1368; img. 259); 1900 US Census Population Schedule for Wilbarger County, Texas, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 292B, (microfilm: roll T623_1679; img. 173); & 1910 US Census Population Schedule for Hildago County, Texas, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 207A, (microfilm: roll T624_1557; img. 1056).)

e. Death Certificates, Texas Department of State Health Services, Austin, TX, (Certificate No. 30372, Bureau of Vital Statistics, State of Texas, Austin, TX).

f. World War I Draft Registration Cards, National Personnel Records Center, National Archives-Southeast Region, Morrow, GA, (microfilm: roll TX-1953559; img. 4569).

g. Falfurrias Burial Park, Brooks County, Texas (, continuously updated).

h. Paradise Cemetery, Wilbarger County, Texas (, continuously updated).

i. Bethlehem Cemetery, Hill County, Texas (, continuously updated).

3. James Fleming Russell and Martha Luticia Ross evidently lived in Grayson County, Virginia, their entire lives and were the parents of eleven children.  He was known familarly as "Flem".

3-1. Lucy Russell, born 1 Jul 1870 in Grayson Co., VA; married (1) on 10 May 1887 in Grayson Co., VA, John A. Ward.  They had Alberta M. and Lessie B. Ward; married (2) on 6 Sep 1905 in Grayson Co., VA, Wiley W. Perkins, born 1851/1852 in VA  They had Andrew, Royse R., Ruth V., and Howard Perkins.
3-2. Celia (Lilly) Jane Russell, born 6 Feb 1872 in Grayson Co., VA, died 20 Mar 1930 in Roanoke Co., VA, buried Russell-Testerman Cem., Grayson Co., VA; married 1896/1897, Cleveland Montgomery Wiles, born Jun 1874 in VA.  They had Wilma, Tressie, Inis, Hazel, and Raymond Wiles.
3-3. Samantha Caroline Russell, born 1875/1876; married (1) ***** Surplis; married (2) **** Howell.
3-4. Francis Monroe Russell, born 4 Jan 1876 in Grayson Co., VA, died 5 Sep 1942 in Grayson Co., VA, buried Cole Cem.; married (1) on 22 Mar 1899 in Grayson Co., VA, Fannie Lee (Bertie) Kiser, born 15 Feb 1879 in VA, died 30 Apr 1915 in Grayson Co., VA, buried Cole Cem.  They had Arthur Herbert, Mamie Lee, Lena Mae, Dean James, and Ruth Russell; married (2) Ethel Gertrude Anderson, born 21 Jul 1879 in Grayson Co., VA, died 3 Feb 1964 in Grayson Co., VA, buried Baptist Union Church Cem.
3-5. Arthur Russell, born 1879 in VA, died 25 Sep 1886 in Grayson Co., VA, buried Russell-Testerman Cem.
3-6. Stephen Cornel Russell, born 2 Aug 1881 in VA, died 3 Sep 1977 in Grayson Co., VA, buried Baptist Union Church Cem.; married on 24 Apr 1904 in Grayson Co., VA, Josie Holdaway, born 15 Sep 1882, died 15 Dec 1965, buried Baptist Union Church Cem., Grayson Co., VA.  They had Glen, Martha, and Ruby R. Russell.
3-7. Robert Lee Russell, born 1 Jul 1884; married Maude Holdaway, born 1891/1892 in VA.  They had James A., Edward G., and Ancil and Ray (twins) Russell.
3-8. Lillian Belle Russell, born 1 Jul 1887, died 27 May 1969, buried Baptist Union Church Cem., Grayson Co., VA; married on 10 Aug 1913 in Grayson Co., VA, Clinton Dexter Cole, born 1 Feb 1891 in Grayson Co., VA, died 27 Feb 1920 in Grayson Co., VA, buried Cole Cem.
3-9. Grover Cleveland Russell, born 28 May 1889 in Grayson Co., VA, died 18 Aug 1988 Morganton, Burke Co., NC, buried Baptist Union Church Cem., Grayson Co., VA; married on 7 Mar 1914, Mona Ruth Perkins, born 23 Feb 1897 in Grayson Co., VA, died 8 May 1968 Marion, Smythe Co., VA,, buried Baptist Union Church Cem., Grayson Co., VA.  They had Ann, Eugene, James Lasco, and Grover Cleveland, Jr. Russell.
3-10. Mintie Dell Russell, born 1890, died 1890, buried Russell-Testerman Cem., Grayson Co., VA.
3-11. Grace Juanita Russell, born 10 Apr 1894 in VA, died Mar 1922, buried Russell-Testerman Cem., Grayson Co., VA; married on 8 May 1919 in Grayson Co., VA, John C. Russell.  He was the younger son of Leland C. Russell and, thus, a grandson of James Basil Russell.  They had Vera and Kate Juanita Russell.
j. Register of Births, 1853-1870, Grayson Co., VA, pg. 86, Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA, (microfilm: roll - City and County Records #19)(Billie White and Ginger Ballard (comp), Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.)

k. Children of James Fleming and Leticia Ross Russell can be confimed by census records.  (1870 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 224B, (microfilm roll - M593_1649; img. 449); 1880 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 418A, (microfilm: roll T9_1368; img. 272); 1900 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 116A, (microfilm: roll T623_1711; img. 79); & 1910 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 151A, (microfilm: roll T624_1630; img. 310).)

l. World War I Draft Registration Cards, National Personnel Records Center, National Archives-Southeast Region, Morrow, GA, (microfilm: roll VA-1984717; imgs. 1190, 1191, 1193, & 1194).

m. Cole Cemetery, Grayson County, Virginia (, continuously updated).

n. Baptist Union Church Cemetery, Grayson County, Virginia (, continuously updated).

(unpublished notes)
back to bio.

5. A deed of bargain and sale from Johnson Parks to Philip Russell was presented in the clerk's office on the 4th day of June 1861 and with the certificate of acknowledgements thereto annexed admitted to record. (Order Bk., 1854-1865, Grayson Co., VA, pg. unk., Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA,  (microfilm: roll - City and County Records #16). (Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.))
back to bio.

6. Volunteer militia companies in southwest Virginia began forming as soon as secession was declared.  Ex-governor John B. Floyd was made a brigadier general and asked to organize these militia.  He ordered the militia to assemble at Wytheville and appointed West Point graduate, Henry Heth, to drill and organize the volunteers.  By May 29, 1861, Heth had formed ten companies, which were mustered into the Confederate Army as the Forty-fifth Regiment, Virginia Infantry.  The original ten companies were:

    Company A - "Floyd Guard" (Tazewell Co.), under Captain Joseph Harrison
    Company B - "Mount Airy Rough and Readys" (Wythe Co.), under Captain John Buchanan
    Company C - "Grayson Rifles" (Grayson Co.), under Captain Alexander M. Davis
    Company D - "Minute Men" (Wythe Co.), under Captain Robert H. Gleaves
    Company E - "Rough and Readys" (Carroll Co.), under Captain William Lundy
    Company F - "Sharpshooters" (Bland Co.), under Captain Andrew J. Grayson
    Company G - "West Augusta Rifles" (Tazewell Co.), under Captain William H. Browne
    Company H - "Tazewell Rangers" (Tazewell Co.), under Captain Edwin H. Harman
    Company I - "Reed Island Rifles" (Carroll Co.), under Captain Thomas D. Bolt
    Company K - "Tazewell Boys" (Tazewell Co.), under Captain Titus V. Williams
    Company L -  Enlisted September 3, 1861, (Tazewell Co.)

On June 17, Heth was promoted to colonel and made commander of the regiment.  He was a strict disciplinarian, born in the Tidewater, and, as such, was unpopular with the mountain farmers.  In turn, Heth was frustrated by the illiteracy and poor discipline of his men, as well as General Floyd's actions as commander.  He wrote of Floyd, "I soon discovered that my chief was as incapacitated for the work he had undertaken as I would have been to lead an Italian opera."  The regiment also elected Gabriel Colvin Wharton, a Virginia Military Institute graduate from Culpeper, as major, but within a month he was made a colonel, in command of the Fifty-first Virginia Infantry.

Western Virginia Campaign of 1861:
      In August, Floyd decided to move his brigade (the 45th and 50th Regiments, Virginia Infantry) into the Kanawha Valley in present-day West Virginia.  Throughout the month he moved his two regiments north slowly, until they were joined by two from Wise's brigade (the 22nd and 36th Regiments, Virginia Infantry).  On August 25, scouts reported the Union Regiment, the 7th Ohio Infantry, in camp at Carnifex Ferry.  Consequently, Floyd, after asking Heth's advice, ordered an attack.  Although, it lost its first man killed in battle, the brigade easily routed the Ohio soldiers.  Floyd made camp at Carnifex Ferry and remained until September 10, when a Union brigade under Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans arrived and drove off Floyd's brigade in the Battle of Carnifex Ferry.  During the battle, Floyd was wounded in the arm and treated by a surgeon of the regiment. The 45th Virginia lost no men in the battle, but suffered three casualties while retreating towards Dogwood Gap.
      Floyd's and Wise's brigades met at Dogwood Gap and withdrew to Sewell Mountain in Fayette County.  Here, the Forty-fifth Virginia was joined by a  new company from Tazewell County, Company L.  Floyd decided to fall back about forty miles southeast toward Roanoke to what he believed was a more defensible position, but Wise refused.  On September 21, Gen. Robert E. Lee arrived to take command of Confederate forces in the Kanawha Valley region.  Lee determined that Wise had been correct, and ordered Floyd's brigade back to Sewell Mountain, but also unified the command under Floyd and sent Wise to Richmond for reassignment.
      Throughout September and October, the brigade maneuvered around the area in several unsuccessful attempts to attack Rosecrans' retreating men.  Lee was recalled on October 30, leaving Floyd in command.  He was becoming increasingly unpopular and several officers resigned in protest of the harsh treatment of their men.  Floyd angrily replaced them, including Captains Joseph Harrison, Alexander Davis, and George Gose. In November, Floyd began shelling Rosecrans' position, but did not order an attack.  Rosecrans began an offensive of his own on November 10 forcing Floyd's brigade to retreat in bad weather and  by December 9, all the way to Dublin in Pulaski County in before halting and entering winter quarters.
      In December, the Forty-fifth Virginia became part of a new brigade commanded by Heth and based at Lewisburg in Greenbrier County.  Lt. Col. William E. Peters took charge of the regiment.

Campaigns of 1862:
      January, 1862, was the end of the formal enlistment period of the Forty-fifth Virginia Infantry; however, most of the regiment re-enlisted, but Company L was transferred to the Twenty-third Virginia Infantry.  Concomitantly, Floyd and most of his command were transferred to Tennessee to support Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston.  Lee, had become special military adviser to President Jefferson Davis and in April, he ordered the regiment to Knoxville, but Brig. Gen. Heth convinced him that guarding railroad lines in southwest Virginia was more important and the Forty-fifth remained in Virginia.
      On April 30, the Forty-fifth Virginia was sent to counter Union movements by Brig. Gen. Jacob D. Cox in Giles County.  On May 10, Heth led a small brigade, including the Forty-fifth Virginia, against the Twenty-third Ohio, under the command of Lt. Col. Rutherford B. Hayes (subsequently the nineteenth President of the United States), at Giles Court House, driving them out of their position.  Although Heth praised the leadership of Peters, when the regiment was reorganized four days later, Peters was not elected and, consequently, left the regiment.
      Accordingly, William Browne, commander of Company G, was elected colonel and Edwin Houston Harman was elected lieutenant colonel.  Alexander Davis was promoted to major.  In addition, five of the ten company commanders, including the two who had been promoted, as well as many lieutenants were replaced.
      Heth received word that Col. George Crook had occupied Lewisburg and took the Foty-fifth and Twenty-second Virginia and Finney's Battalion to drive them off.  However, Heth badly mismanaged this engagement and Crook easily defeated the attack.  Only the Forty-fifth Virginia maintained some order.  Heth spent the rest of the summer withdrawing, much to the anger of local residents, until he was transferred to Tennessee and replaced by Brig. Gen. John Echols, a Virginia Military Institute graduate.
      Maj. Gen. William W. Loring, commander of the Department of Southwestern Virginia, decided to unite all his forces in an attempt to drive Union troops from the Kanawha Valley.  Accordingly, at 5:00 am on September 10, Loring deployed his forces on the approach to the Union camp at Fayetteville, with the Forty-fifth Virginia on the left reassigned to the brigade of Brig. Gen. John S. Williams.  They advanced through heavy fire until nightfall, Browne writing, "the enemy threw grape and minie-balls thick as hail around us."  Union forces withdrew during the night and began a nearly week-long retreat to Charleston.  The Confederates reached the city in the midst of a Union retreat and Lt. James Hackler and three other men from Company C crossed the river although the town was still half-occupied and hauled down the garrison's colors, returning with them over the river.
      As a result of the Battle of Charleston, Loring had effectively cleared all Union troops from the Kanawha Valley and issued a proclamation saying, "The army of the Confederate states has come upon you to expel the enemy, to rescue the people from despotism of the counterfeit State government imposed on you by Northern bayonets, and to restore the country once more to its natural allegiance to the State."  Loring also called on the western counties to cease all cooperation with the Northern armies and to send men for new regiments for his own.  However, the occupation of Charleston was temporary.  After Lee's defeat at the Battle of Antietam, Loring was ordered to the Shenandoah Valley in case Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan pursued the Army of Northern Virginia across the Potomac River.  Nevertheless, Loring chose to remain in Charleston instead and, consequently, was summoned to Richmond and began marching there with his entire army.  On October 16, he was summoned again and was relieved of command, with Echols replacing him temporarily.  Echols tried to move the army back to Charleston, but Union forces had already made the position untenable, so he placed the army into winter quarters on a line from Lewisburg to Princeton.
      In November, the Forty-fifth Virginia's brigade commander, John S. Williams, was made the head of the Department of Southwestern Virginia, replacing Loring.

1863, Defense of the Railroad and Salt Mines:
      By the winter and spring of 1863, the salt mines of Saltville, Virginia, had become of vital importance to Confederate forces in Virginia.  Most of the salt used in preserving meat for the armies came from southwestern Virginia and the Forty-fifth Virginia was ordered to protect the supply.  However, no Union offensive immediately occurred.
      West Virginia was admitted into the Union on June 20, 1863, as separate state and Brig. Gen. William under Col. W. Averell was sent to southwestern Virginia to renew the Unon offensive.  Union forrces moved  toward Lewisburg, which concerned the Confederate government regarding the law library containing the deeds to all the land in western counties of Virginia, now West Virginia.  Confederate troops from the Trans-Allegheny Department, commanded by Maj. Gen. Samuel Jones, were ordered to protect Lewisburg.  Accordingly, a brigade under Col. William L. Jackson attempted to slow Averell and the 45th Virginia,  When Jackson was fell back.  Jones sent the Twenty-second Virginia under Col. George S. Patton (grandfather of the famous World War II Gen. George Patton) and the Twenty-sixth Virginia Battalion and together, with a few addtional soldiers, they confronted Averell at White Sulphur Springs in Greenbrier County on August 26.  Two companies detached from the Fort-fifth Virginia under Lt. Col. Harman entered the fight on the left "fighting like demons," in his words.  As Averell added troops against them Col. Browne sent companies to reinforce and, finally, Maj. Davis brought the rest of the regiment.  After Averell's troops had made four charges on his men, Harman wrote, "After they had charged our regt four different times and had been repulsed, the next time they came through the brush and got up to within 20 paces before we saw them - and the officers hollower to us - damn you - aint you Rebels going to run - one of my fellows - replied - no damn you we aint and then we give them such a terrific fire they could not withstand it and ran themselves.  Our regt repulsed eight heavy and furious charges."  The fighting continued until nightfall, when both armies slept on the field.  The following morning, Averell ordered one more charge and was again repulsed.  For their stand at White Sulphur Springs, the men of the Forty-fifth Virginia were praised by Jones, who wrote in his report that they had "inscribed their names high on the roll of those who in this war have illustrated the valor of our troops."  Col Browne also commented that "notwithstanding long marches my men had made (having marched about 100 miles during the four days preceding this engagement), I had no stragglers or skulkers. I have never on any battle-field seen men act cooler or braver; they fought with a determination to do or die.
      Confederate forces in Tennessee were under heavy pressure as Union forces approached Chickamauga during September.  Consequently, the Forty-fifth Virginia and much of Jones' command was transferred to East Tennessee.  Initially, the regiment was ordered to remain to defend Saltville and the mines while its division went west, but on September 19 the battle at Chickamauga motivated Confederate war planners to order them to Tennessee also.  Jones began a series of maneuvers and skirmishes around the Wautauga River against the Army of the Ohio commanded by Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside.  But when Burnside fell back on Knoxville by mid-October, Jones decided to return the Forty-fifth Virginia to Saltville, while the rest of the command joined in the campaign of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet to lay siege to the Army of the Ohio.  The regiment had already settled into winter quarters when a raid by Averell into the New River Valley threatened the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad again.  On December 16, the Forty-fifth Virginia set out for New River Bridge, then spent Christmas Day in the town of Salem, before the threat was ended and it returned to Saltville and winter quarters.  On the final day of 1863, 918 men were listed on the roll as members of the regiment, 702 of whom were present, the rest presumably on sick leave or furlough.

The 1864 Campaign in the Shenandoah Valley:
      Crook and Averell's Raids:  The regiment remained around Saltville throughout the winter, with many of the men re-enlisting for the duration of the war.  By early March, there was a debate as to whether the regiment belonged to Longstreet's command in East Tennessee with the rest of its brigade, or remained within the Department of Trans-Allegheny commanded by Maj. Gen. John C. Breckinridge.  It was decided that the latter was the case. On the final day of April, the muster roll shows that the regiment had 840 present.
      By spring, the Union's new General-in-chief Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant launched a new strategy for the war that coordinated action in all theaters.  In southwestern Virginia and West Virginia, this meant Averell would move against Saltville and Wytheville, where substantial lead mines existed, and Union Brig. Gen. George Crook would cut the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad in New River Gorge.  Then they would meet up with Union Maj. Gen. Franz Sigel, who was advancing in the Shenandoah Valley  The Forty-fifth Virginia was hurried westward to confront Crook.  Brig. Gen. Albert G. Jenkins brigade of cavalry had halted Crook at Cloyd's Mountain and the Forty-fifth Virginia joined them there.  Col. Browne dispersed his companies on the Confederate left and faced the brunt of Crook's infantry, a brigade of Ohioans under the regiment's old opponent Lt. Gen. Rutherford B. Hayes, commanding the Twenty-third Ohio.  Confederate Lt. Col. Harman being in command of that part of the Confederate line, sent Major Davis for reinforcements from the Sixtieth Virginia and received two companies, but while he was placing them he was struck by a musket ball and mortally wounded.  The Union soldiers were pushed back, but when the Confederates pursued them, the situation reversed and the Confederates began to run.  Davis tried to stabilize the line, but intense hand-to-hand combat broke out and the flank was turned.  Jenkins himself was hit in the arm while leading the Forty-fifth Virginia.  He was carried form the battlefield mortally wounded and cavalry Col. John McCausland assumed command.  He ordered a full retreat that left much of the regiment's supply train on the field, along with 46 of its men that were captured, 96 wounded, and 26 killed, the regiment's most casualties so far.  Crook, however, did not pursue, having heard of the heavy losses taken by the Army of the Potomac in the Wilderness north of Richmond, as well as the defeat of Sigel at the New Market.  McCausland moved his army back into the territory, and a number of the men of the Forty-fifth Virginia became responsible for burying the dead on the Cloyd's Mountain battlefield on May 18.  As the campaign north of Richmond became bloodier, Breckinridge was called to the eastern theater with a division of his command, and Brig. Gen. William "Grumble" Jones took over the remainder of the department.  Sigel was replaced by Union Maj. Gen. David Hunter, with instructions to destroy Confederate property in the Shenandoah Valley, therefore to deprive Lee's Army of Northern Virginia of supplies, particularly food.
      The Lynchburg Campaign:  Jones brought his troops north into the Shenendoah Valley to stop Hunter, who had already burned Lexington.  The Forty-fifth Virginia along with the rest of Jones' men were transported by rail to Port Republic, but when Hunter did not appear, they began marching towards Staunton in Augusta County.  On June 5, the two armies engaged each other at the village of Piedmont located 10.4 miles (16.7 km) northeast of Staunton and 10.1 miles (16.3 km) north-northwest of Waynesboro, Virginia.  The Forty-fifth Virginia took up position behind rail pens and endured a heavy Union artillery barrage.  Hunter moved several regiments around the Confederate right flank under cover of woods, which Jones discovered too late. While trying to rally his men, he was struck in the head and killed.  The Confederates were routed, with heavy losses.  The Forty-fifth Virginia suffered at least 325 men captured, dozens wounded, and six killed, though the poorly kept records almost certainly underestimate losses for the battle.  Col. Browne was wounded and captured.   West Point classmate, Capt. Henry A. du Pont visited him in the hospital and loaned him some money for his imprisonment, but three days later his wounds took a turn for the worst and he died suddenly. Alexander Davis was also captured, along with three company commanders and two more were seriously wounded.  The regiment also lost its colors, when they were seized by Pvt. Thomas Evans, a Welsh immigrant in the Fifty-fourth Pennsylvania, who would be awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.  The men slowly regrouped at Waynesboro with fewer than 300 remaining.
      The regiment fell back toward Lynchburg, being led by the commander of Company E, the recently promoted Major Francis Miller, a Prussian immigrant who began the war as the regiment's commissary sergeant.  In Lynchburg, they joined with Breckinridge, who had been returned to western Virginia to fight Hunter, who was advancing on Lynchburg with a sizable army.  McCausland's cavalry managed to delay Hunter long enough for reinforcements to arrive from Lee under Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early, who moved box cars back and forth loudly and successfully fooled Hunter into retreating.
      Campaigning with Early:  Early quickly reorganized Confederate troops at Lynchburg into the Army of the Valley and planned an offensive campaign to take pressure off of Lee.  The Forty-fifth Virginia was placed in the brigade of its former major, Gabriel Wharton, who had been subsequently promoted to Brigadier General.  The Confederate troops then marched with Early down the Shenendoah Valley to Shepherdstown in Jefferson County and crossed the Potomac River into Maryland on July 5.  Four days later, on July 9, Early fought a battle against a varied force of Union defenders under Maj. Gen. Lew Wallace at Monocacy Junction, Maryland,, but Wharton's brigade was held in reserve and saw no action.  By July 11, the men of the Forty-fifth Virginia could see the recently completed dome of the United States Capitol building from their position in Silver Spring, Maryland. Even so, the regiment was not engaged in the fighting near Fort Stevens and on July 13, Wharton's brigade began clearing Union troops to the army's rear as it fell back to the Potomac, including at Heaton's Crossroads and Cool Spring.
      Throughout the retreat, Crook had been shadowing Early's movement to the west, but on July 24, Early suddenly attacked him at Kernstown, Virginia.  As part of Wharton's brigade, the Forty-fifth Virginia turned Crook's left flank and routed his army.  The move freed John McCausland's cavalry to return to Pennsylvania, where he attempted to hold ransom the city of Chambersburg in Franklin County.  When his price of $500,000 was not met, he ordered Col. William Peters - erstwhile commander of the Forty-fifth Virginia, currently leading the Twenty-first Virginia Cavalry - to burn the city.  When he refused, he was arrested and McCausland set the city ablaze on July 30.  "Remember Chambersburg" became a rallying cry for Northern troops.  Early remained in the Lower Shenendoah Valley into August, when Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan was put in command of all Union forces with orders to eliminate Early.  Breckinridge had been transferred out of the theater again and Wharton assumed command of the division, with his brigade led by Col. Augustus Forsburg of the Fifty-first Virginia.  Over the next two weeks, Early and Sheridan took turns pursuing each other up and down the Valley, and the Confederates were reinforced by a division under Maj. Gen. Richard H. Anderson.  Wharton's division led the pursuit of the Union back to Winchester, capturing about 200.  The Forty-fifth Virginia was held in reserve with the rest of Wharton's Division during the Battle of Summit Point on August 21.  The pursuit and counter-pursuit continued.  On September 4, Wharton was ordered to Berryville in Clarke County and found Anderson's men engaged with the division of Joseph Thoburn of Sheridan's army. The Forty-fifth Virginia and the rest of the division took up a position on Anderson's left flank and secured it, while the Confederates drove off Thoburn's men.  Nevertheless, during the battle, Sheridan had been able to draw up the rest of his army, so Early ordered the Southerners to take up a position on Opequon Creek south of Winchester.  During August, Lee had lost control of the Weldon Railroad south of Petersburg as Grant extended his lines to the west.  Anderson was ordered back to Petersburg with his men and Wharton's division was moved north of Winchester to defend the battery that would cover the movement on September 16.  On September 19, Sheridan ordered an all-out assault and caught Wharton's division well north of the town at 8:00 am.  Around 11:00, cavalry under Brig. Gen. George A. Custer penetrated the line, but the Confederates eventually drove him back.  The division was withdrawn to about a mile north of Winchester, to link up with the rest of Early's line, with the Forty-fifh Virginia brigade on the extreme left flank.  Wharton's division was the focal point of a charge by Thoburn's division of Crook's army, which the Forty-fifth Virginia and its division turned back with heavy casualties.  Thoburn reorganized and kept up the assaults and was joined by Averell's cavalry, who managed to get behind Forsberg's brigade.  The division broke, followed by the army, and the men of the Forty-fifth Virginia ran back through town while Averell's cavalry rounded up prisoners.  At least five members of the regiment were killed and 79 were captured.
      Early drew a new battle line a few miles south at Fisher's Hill, with Wharton's division entrenched at the top, Forsberg's brigade connecting to the division of John B. Gordon. The division held off the larger Union division attacking it, but once again Thoburn's division along with the division of Rutherford Hayes turned the Confederate left flank and the army was routed.  Wharton's men were able to form a rear guard and most of the army escaped up the Shenendoah Valley.  Sheridan began a campaign to destroy everything that could be of use to the Confederate army.  Early took the opportunity to advance back down the Valley.  By October 1, the army had reached Mount Sidney.  In Forsberg's Brigade, only 417 men were listed present for duty, with probably fewer than 200 in the Forty-fifth Virginia.  Sheridan, thinking that the Confederates in the Valley were no longer a threat, began withdrawing towards Winchester.  The Confederates surprised Union troops camped near Hupp's Hill on October 13, and then took up defensive positions on Fisher's Hill, alerting Sheridan to the danger and leading him to order his full army of 30,000 to Cedar Creek.  Before dawn on October 19, Early put his small army into position to attack, surprising the sleeping Union army, with Sheridan not present. The Forty-fifth Virginia, being led by Captain R. H. Logan, advanced on the extreme left with the division and swept the Union men in front of them from the field.  Wharton's division was moved to the right, with the Forty-fifth Virginia brigade again on the extreme flank. The starving division became caught up gorging themselves on Union supplies captured in Middleburg and soon the looting spread to the whole army.  But the Union army was not yet routed, and Sheridan arrived on the battlefield, reorganizing his army. The Union crashed into Early's left, and the whole Southern army took flight, leaving the captured supplies and many of their own, too.  The army camped for several weeks at New Market in Shenendoah County and the Forty-fifth Virginia received 44 new conscripts from Richmond, mostly over the age of 45.  Again, Sheridan withdrew north, and again Early followed him, but the army was too weakened to directly challenge the Union army and eventually returned to New Market.  With the arrival of cold weather and no winter clothes or shoes, the Forty-fifth Virginia refused to drill in the snow on December 6 and was placed under arrest by the Fifty-first Virginia at Wharton's orders with Captain Rufus Wainwright temporarily taking command of the regiment.  By December 16, Wharton's Division was all that remained of Early's command, the rest having been returned to Lee's army in Petersburg.  Over the final weeks of the year, they were marched out of camp in heavy snow to meet several Union advances, but no fighting took place.
      The End of the War and Disbandment:  The first two months of 1865 passed without incident and on March 2, Wharton's Division and some remaining troops in southwestern Virginia under Early's command were ordered to move east to support Lee's army.  They got as far as Waynesboro, trailed by Custer's cavalry, before forming a line of battle to repulse the Union.  Wharton's 800 men were quickly surrounded by the 7,500 Union cavalry and surrendered, though Wharton and Early both escaped.  Some of the men of the Forty-fifth Virginia managed to escape as well, but Major Miller and 119 of the men were captured.  Those that got away regrouped at Charlottesville and were soon transferred back to Dublin by rail, and marched from there to Christiansburg, where, upon hearing the news of Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House, they decided to disband.
      Over the course of the war 1,947 men were listed as members of the Forty-fifth Virginia Infantry at some time during the war, though most of the regiment's records were poorly kept or not preserved, so it is unclear how many were considered true members of the regiment.  Union prisoner of war records shows 600 members of the regiment as having been captured, 104 of whom died in captivity.  The regiment's records show 65 deaths in battle and 143 deaths from disease or other reasons, some of which may be from wounds. ("45th Virginia Infantry", Wikipedia, contiuously updated.)

a. Scott, J. L., 45th Virginia Infantry,  Pub. H.E. Howard, Inc., 1989: pgs. 2-3, 6-8, 10, 12, 15-20, 25-6, 30-3, 35, 40-51, & 53-4.

b. Henry Heth (ed. James L. Morrison, Jr.), The Memoirs of Henry Heth, Pub. Greenwood Press, 1974: pgs. xxxiv & 152.

c. United States War Department, The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of Official Records from the Union and Confederate Armies, Government Printing Office, 1880 - 1901: Vol. V, Chap. XIV, pgs. 900-2; Chap. XXXI, Part I, pgs.1072, 1084-6; Vol. XXIX, Chap. XLI, pgs. 46, 62-4; & Vol. XXXVII, Chap. XLIX, pgs. 52-3.

d. John H. and David J. Eicher, Civil War High Commands, Stanford University Press, 2001: pgs. 882-4.

It is reported that James Fleming Russell was captured on May 9, 1864 at the engagement at Cloyd's Mountain in Pulaski County.  Unfortunately, the location of the death of Phillip Francis Russell is not known with certainty; however, if asserted it was in 1864, the Forty-fifth Virginia Infantry suffered substantial losses at Cloyd's Mountain, The Battle of Piedmont, The Battle of Opequon Creek, and the Battle of Fisher's Hill.  Therefore, it is probable that he died in one of these engagements, but this is merely speculation.  Concomitantly, his great-great niece (great grandaughter of Stephen Campbell Russell), Linda Russell DeWitt, asserts that a CSA grave marker for Phillip Francis Russell exists.

(unpublished notes)
back to bio.

7. Jeffrey Weaver summarizes the military service of Stephen C., Phillip F., James Fleming, and William P. Russell as follows:
     "RUSSELL, STEPHEN C., 31, Farmer, 400, 235, 1870 GCC. Co. C, 45th VA Inf., Enl. on 5/29/61 at Wytheville. Sick when the regiment left Wytheville on 7/12/61."
     "RUSSELL, PHILIP (PHILEMON) F.: Co. C, 45th VA, Enl. on 5/29/61 in Wytheville. Sick 7/12/61 and 11/61. Status not stated on final muster roll. Age 28, Farmer, 800, 388, 1870 GCC."
     "RUSSELL, JAMES FLEMMING: Co. C, 45th VA, Enl. on 5/29/61 in Wytheville. Sick 8/61 & 11/61. Taken POW at Cloyd's Farm 5/9/64, sent to Camp Chase. Released 5/26/65. B. 2/11/42 in Grayson Co. Granted pension on 5/22/1908 by the Grayson Co. Pension Board. D. 7/10/1925 at Flat Ridge, Grayson Co."
     "RUSSELL, WILLIAM P., 13, 1860 GCC HH#838"
     Here, Phillip F. Russell is identified as "Philemon".  Indeed the household of Philemon Russell does appear in the 1870 US Census for Grayson County; however, taking into account the name of his wife (Luticia) and their date of marriage (Aug 1869), it seems more likely that the name, Philemon, is in error and has been confused by the census taker with the name, Fleming.  Therefore, it can be concluded that Philemon Russell was actually James Fleming Russell, not his brother, Phillip F.  This is further supported by the fact that Ann Shuler, age seventy-one, was also living in this household.  She was an aunt of James Fleming Russell and apparently continued living in his household through the 1870's, since the population schedule of the 1880 US census for Grayson County lists her as age eighty-two and resident in the household of James F. Russell.  (Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.)
back to bio.

8. Mr. and Mrs. Tim Vance canvassed the Jones Chapel Cemetery in 1999 and at that time stated that many headstones had been damaged by the weather.  Accordingly, it may be supposed that older stones may have been difficult to read.
     "John Philip RUSSELL b. 1808, d. 1864.   Anna Parks RUSSELL b. 1825, d. 1909."   John Philip Russell was probably identical to Philip C. Russell, son of Philip and Rebeckah Russell of Grayson County, but this tombstone is relatively recent and, as such, placed long after his death.  Accordingly, the name and date of death appear to be erroneous and are supported neither by civil and census records nor by family tradition.  Similarly, it is evident from census records that Philip Russell did not die until after 1880 (perhaps, 1884 has been incorrectly read as 1864).
     "L. J. RUSSELL b. 18-Jan-1862, d. 18-Feb-1944.   Lula RUSSELL b. 9-Sep-1875, d. 21-Mar-1960."  Census records indicate that L. J. Russell was Jefferson Russell.  It is probable that his name was actually "Jefferson Lee" since he is identified as Jefferson, Jeff, or Lee J. Russell in various census records.
     "Rev. John Floyd RUSSELL b. 4-May-1862, d. 15-Feb-1939.  Alice Houchins RUSSELL b. 24-Aug-1866, d. 13-Sep-1946."  The population schedule of 1860 clearly indicated John F. Russell as a child of age two, hence, his correct birth year was 1858 (as is confirmed by the corresponding population schedule of 1900).
     "Mary E. RUSSELL b. 20-Oct-1860, d. 19-May-1925.  Aaron A. RUSSELL b. 26-Nov-1848, d. 26-Dec-1935."  Likewise, census records indicate that Aaron Russell was really born in 1851, not 1848.  (Tim and Tami Vance (surv), "Jones Chapel Cemetery", unpublished. (Tazewell County VAGenWeb Archives, 1999.))
back to bio.

Additional Citations:

9. 1840 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 323, (microfilm roll - M704_556; imgs. 318-9).

10. 1860 US Census Population Schedule for Grayson County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pgs. 110-1, (microfilm roll - M653_1348; imgs. 111-2).

11. 1870 US Census Population Schedule for Tazewell County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 293A, (microfilm: roll M593_1680; img. 580).

12. 1880 US Census Population Schedule for Tazewell County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 292B, (microfilm: roll T9_1393; img. 226).

13. 1900 US Census Population Schedule for Tazewell County, Virginia, National Archives, Washington DC:  pg. 190B, (microfilm: roll T623_1730; img. 383).

14. Will Bk. 2, Grayson Co., VA, pg. unk., Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA,  (microfilm: roll - City and County Records #9).  ("Grayson County, Virginia Wills 1793-1849", Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.)

15. Register of Births, 1853-1870, Grayson Co., VA, pgs. 10 and 24, Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA, (microfilm: roll - City and County Records #19)(Billie White and Ginger Ballard (comp), Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.)

16. Grayson County Land Tax List of 1863,  Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA, (microfilm: roll - Land Tax Records #456). ("Grayson County - Western District", Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes,, 2015.)

17. Jordan R. Dodd (ed), Early American Marriages: Virginia to 1850, Precision Indexing Publishers, Bountiful, UT, 1990-2003. (Available online at

18. Jones Chapel Cemetery, Tazewell County, Virginia (, continuously updated).


19. Death Certificates, West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, Charleston, WV, (Death Certificate No. 2110 - Vital Registration Office, Health Statistics Center, State of West Virginia, Charleston, WV & Death Certificate No. 16341 - Vital Registration Office, Health Statistics Center, State of West Virginia, Charleston, WV).

20. Death Certificates, Virginia Department of Health, Richmond, VA, (Death Certificate No. 30018 - Bureau of Vital Statistics, Commonwealth of Virginia, Richmond, VA & Death Certificate No. 5051 - Bureau of Vital Statistics, Commonwealth of Virginia, Richmond, VA)

21. Shirley Campbell Ramos and Patricia Campbell Kratz, Descendants of Phillip and Rebecca Russell, Gregath Publishing Company, P. O. B. 505, Wyandotte, OK, 74370, 1997: pgs. 51-67.

22. Trula Fay Parks Purkey, Genealogy of William Bonham, Pioneer Settler of Grayson County, Virginia, privately published, 731 Rockbridge Rd., Trout Dale, VA, 1984: pgs. 64-6.

23. Henry Hardy Catron, The Kettenring Family in America, 1619 N. 19th St., Springfield, IL, 1956.  (Reprinted by Unigraphic, Inc., Evansville, IN)

Return to Index