Mother: Nancy Ann Creekmore?
Spouse: Mary Ann Sturgeon/Sturgell/Sturgill?
b: 19/Mar/1793 - NC
Child-1: Nancy - b: 18/Aug/1810 - Grayson Co., VA
d: 21/Jan/1838 - Bureau Co., IL - bur: Greenfield Cem.
m: Leonard Roth - 1830 - Peoria Co., IL
2: Solomon William
4: Rebecca Sarah
5: Martha Jane (Patsy) - b: 8/Apr/1820 - Whitley Co., KY
d: 7/Oct/1907 - Bureau Co., IL
m: Thomas H. McDonald - 25/Jun/1840 - Lee Co., IL
6: Malinda - b: 12/Jun/1822 - KY
7: John H.
8: Robert L. - b: 7/Mar/1827
9: Mary Ann
10: Jesse - b: 15/Apr/1833 - IL - nra: 1850
11: Eliza A.
As recorded in the population schedule of the 1850 census and, presumably, by his own reckoning, Timothy Perkins was born in Virginia. Moreover, the date of his birth is affirmed as January 9, 1786, in an original manuscript family register. Within this context, it is commonly accepted that he was the son of Jabez Perkins, whose wife and; hence, Timothy's mother, is believed by many researchers to have been Nancy Ann Creekmore; however, this has not yet been definitively proven and, in fact, remains doubtful. As asserted elsewhere, members of the Perkins family had immigrated to northwestern North Carolina from Connecticut just prior to the outbreak of the American Revolution. Subsequently, it appears that several of them moved northward across the border into Virginia and settled on lands that had been included in Botetourt County in 1770 and were included successively in Fincastle, Montgomery, Wythe, and, finally, Grayson County in 1792. Hence, a birth year of 1786 implies that Timothy was born in Montgomery County.Source Notes and Citations:
It is evident from the birth date of their oldest daughter, Nancy, that Timothy Perkins and his wife, Mary Ann, were probably married about 1808 or 1809. Her maiden name is not known with any certainty; however, there is a family tradition that it was "Sturgeon" or, as is more likely, Sturgill.1 Moreover, as cited previously in the case of her husband, census and family records indicate that Mary Ann was born in North Carolina on March 19, 1793. If this is so, then it provides an additional connection between the Perkins and Sturgill families and further contributes to the confusion of identities surrounding the the alleged marriage of Timothy Perkins, Sr., to Ann Sturgill in 1812. Of course, Timothy Perkins, Sr., can be identified as the grandfather of Timothy, son of Jabez. Naturally, he was much older than the younger Timothy; however, Timothy Perkins, Jr., son of Timothy, Sr., and younger brother of Jabez, was much closer to the same age. It is only to be expected that such a coincidence of names has caused confusion for earlier family researchers and will likely continue to remain vexing into the future. Indeed, there is some evidence that Timothy, Jr., lived in Grayson County, Virginia, in the 1790's. Nevertheless, according to land and court records, he seems to have returned to North Carolina about 1800 and remained there for the rest of his life. Therefore, the Timothy Perkins mentioned in Grayson County records of the early nineteenth century can with reasonable confidence be identified as the son of Jabez. (Even so, care must be taken because in succeeding generations the name Timothy was applied several times again to various male individuals within the extended Perkins family.) On April 9, 1810, Timothy Perkins was assessed tax in Grayson County, Virginia, on one tithable and two horses. His name did not appear on the 1805 tax list, although his father and uncles were clearly listed, which implies that he was probably then still living at home in his parents' household. Of course, by 1810, i.e., after his marriage, he already would have almost certainly established his own household. Moreover, it appears that on August 29, 1810, Timothy Perkins was recommended for commission as an Ensign (nearest present equivalent: Second Lieutenant) in the Grayson County militia. It is possible that he then saw service in the War of 1812; however, there is no known documentary evidence in support of such a presumption.2 Alternatively, it is more likely that he resigned his commision before the war began since, according to family tradition and more recent research, both he and his father together with their families had moved to Knox County, Kentucky, by 1813. This presumption is further supported by subsequent census and family records, which indicate that his oldest son, Solomon, was born in Kentucky in the summer of 1812. Whitley County, Kentucky, was formed by partition of Knox County on April 1, 1818, and in June of that year Timothy Perkins, among a number of other citizens, was appointed by the county court to review and survey roads for the new county. Subsequently, in December of 1821, Archibald Blake, Sampson Wilder, and Timothy Perkins were appointed by the county court as appraisers of the estate of the late Hugh Monholland. Concomitantly, several Perkins households, including that of Timothy, appeared in the 1820 US Census for Whitley County. Moreover, according to the population schedule, at the time of the census the family of Timothy Perkins consisted of an adult male and female between the ages of twenty-six and forty-five years, i.e., Timothy himself and his wife, Mary Ann, two male and two female children of less than ten years of age, and one female between ten and sixteen. Clearly, the four young children can be identified as sons, Solomon and Timothy, and daughters, Rebecca and Martha Jane, Likewise, the older daughter can be identified as Nancy. The 1820 population schedule further indicated that one member of the household, presumably Timothy, was engaged in agriculture. Accordingly, Timothy Perkins was issued a land grant on July 11, 1825, for two hundred and fifty acres on Paint Creek in Whitley County, which were specified by survey dated April 2, 1824.3 This location appears to be about four or five miles southwest of the town of Williamsburg near the community of Jellico Creek and is quite mountainous with valley floors lying below a thousand feet in elevation and summits rising above two thousand feet. Even so, the landscape is quite similar to that of Grayson County and, perhaps, would have been attractive to settlers from southwestern Virginia. In addition, Timothy Perkins appears to have acted as a "real estate broker", having bought on February 22, 1826, from the trustees of the town (viz., Joseph D. Laughlin, Joseph J. Faris, Nathan Cox, and James K. Gallion) and sold to John Grubb of Ashe County, North Carolina, the following day, two town lots, numbered one and fourteen, located in the county seat of Williamsburgh (i.e., Williamsburg). It appears he made a profit of twenty-five cents on this transaction.
Timothy and Mary Ann Perkins sold their land on Paint Creek to Nathan Richardson on June 4, 1827, for the sum of three hundred and twenty dollars.4 Afterward, they and their children moved to north central Illinois and settled near the Illinois River north of Peoria in 1829.5 At that time, much of this territory would have been flat tallgrass prairie land broken by groves a trees and, therefore, quite different from Appalachian Virginia and Kentucky. Indeed, accounts of early settlers from more forested regions indicate that they often found the expanse of prairie grassland unattractive and even intimidating. Nevertheless, they also found that once broken by the plow, the soil exhibited a phenomenal fertility that was unmatched in more settled regions of the East. The migration of the Perkins family from Kentucky to Illinois is further supported by the population schedule of the 1830 US Census for Peoria County, Illinois, in which the household of Timothy Perkins appeared and evidently consisted of an adult male between forty and fifty years of age, an adult female between thirty and forty, one male and one female child less than five, one male between five and ten, two females between ten and fifteen, and two males between fifteen and twenty years. Obviously, the adults should be identified with Timothy and Mary Ann themselves. Likewise, the youngest son and daughter can be identified as Robert L. and Mary Ann and the next youngest son as John H. However, the household did not include a female between five and ten years of age corresponding to daughter, Malinda. In all likelihood this is an indication that she died as a young child before 1830. (The Malinda Perkins that married John Wherry in Illinois in 1843 was almost certainly the daughter of Jesse Alvin and Amy Girton Perkins, viz., Timothy's brother and sister-in-law.) The remaining four children evidently correspond to Solomon, Timothy, Rebecca, and Martha Jane. It is known that Timothy and Mary Ann's oldest daughter, Nancy, married Leonard Roth in the summer of 1830 and, accordingly, his household, which included three adult males between thirty and forty years of age and one female between twenty and thirty, appeared on the same page of the population schedule, two lines below that of Timothy Perkins.6 Of course, this implies that the two families were likely living in close proximity and, obviously, the female can be identified as Nancy and one of the males as Leonard, but identities of the remaining two males remains uncertain. The appearance of the Perkins family in the 1830 population schedule of Peoria County instead of Putnam County suggests that they may have been living just east of the Illinois River at that time, since in 1830, although not formally a part of Peoria County, this territory was unorganized and attached to that county for adminstrative purposes. Later, the area was formally incorporated into Putnam County, when La Salle County was organized in 1831. (Subsequently, the southern portion became part of Marshall County in 1839.) Even so, it is apparent that by 1831 both families had settled on the west side of the river and entered land claims. This is supported by the histories of Bradsby, Matson, and Harrington, which indicate that Timothy Perkins and his son-in-law, Leonard Roth, established a sawmill on Big Bureau Creek near its confluence with the Illinois River in the spring of 1831 and that, in addition, Timothy entered a substantial land claim in this locality. Moreover, Harrington in his history also asserted that Timothy Perkins was the first settler within the boundaries of the future Leepertown Township. Similarly, Matson also stated that Timothy Perkins and Leonard Roth settled on the west side of the Illinois River in the summer of 1829. As a matter of history, the land west and north of the river was considered hostile "Indian country" and it seems plausible that the two men may have built a cabin (or "claim shack") to establish priority, but left women and children on the safer east side of the Illinois River. Of course, this remains speculative, but there can be no doubt that fear of attack by Natove American tribes was uppermost in the minds of early pioneers of this region and was a real danger as Chief Black Hawk and his allies were soon to demonstrate. Even so, Matson indicated elsewhere that Timothy Perkins was living with his family near Bureau Creek as early as the spring of 1830. Indeed, several accounts descending from this time period portray the Perkins home as an early fixture of the local community and, as such, a place of hospitality for travelers and newcomers alike. Naturally, the Black Hawk War of 1831 and 1832 caused a serious disruption in the settlement of northern Illinois.7 Accordingly, archived militia records indicate that Timothy Perkins was mustered in at Hennepin on May 21, 1832, as first lieutenant in Captain George B. Willis' company of Colonel John Strawn's brigade of the Illinois militia.8 This is further supported by a land patent for one hundred and sixty acres in Webster County, Iowa, issued in 1859 to Lewis M. Olcott as assignee of a Military Bounty Land Warrant granted to Timothy Perkins. Presumably, Olcott had purchased the warrant, but precise circumastances remain unknown. in any case, it would seem that this militia unit was one of those raised for service as a home guard. Officers were chosen by a "vote" of the men, which implies that Timothy must have been held in reasonably high regard by his friends and neighbors.9 As might have been expected once hostilities ceased, immigration and settlement rapidly resumed and even accelerated.10 Concomitantly, it has been recorded that Timothy Perkins purchased three town lots in the new village of Henry, Illinois, on April 29, 1834.11 These were located on Main and Second Streets near the public square (presently Central Park). Apparently, it would seem that it was his intention to resell these as he had done previously with town lots in Williamsburg, Kentucky. In any case, on August 1, 1838, he was subsequently issued two patents for separate land parcels.12 The first of these was entered on June 20, 1835, and contained just over eighty acres located on the floodplain of Big Bureau Creek about five and half miles southeast of the present town of Princeton. This location would seem to correspond roughly to that of the sawmill and original land claim described by Matson and Harrington, i.e., Perkins Grove, which according tho Bradsby was "three miles northwest of Hennepin". Even so, it seems that Timothy Perkins sold his original claim near Bureau Creek to John Leeper in 1833. (Nevertheless, there is evidence from census records that members of the extended Perkins family remained resident in this area for many years afterward.) The second parcel contained exactly eighty acres and lay on the prairie approximately sixteen miles north to northeast of the first and immediately to the southwest of the present village of La Moille. It was entered five days later on June 25, 1835. Accordingly, Matson clearly asserted that Timothy Perkins together with his sons and son-in-law moved to this vicinity in the spring of 1834 and subsequently speculated in land claims. Concomitantly, Harrington stated that Timothy Perkins settled in Clarion Township in 1833. Within this context, Clarion and La Moille Townships adjoin each other just at the eastern edge of La Moille. Therefore, it would not be at all inconsistent for Timothy Perkins to have not only claimed land, but to have also lived in Clarion Township. For completeness it should be noted that although, these parcels were both located within the boundaries of Putnam County when the claims were originally entered, they later were included in Bureau County when it was formed from the northern portion of Putnam County on February 28, 1837, and presently are within Leepertown and La Moille Townships, respectively. In addition, both were obtained by preemption, which required that each parcel had been occupied and improved prior to entry of a claim. In general, these two issued patents almost certainly present a very incomplete picture of Timothy's land transactions. Indeed, as Matson has described, pioneer land claims were informally indicated by marking "witness trees" with the claimant's initials. This would be followed later by "improvements" such as a log cabin or some similar structure. Such claims were respected within the local community and were bought and sold irrespective of whether an official entry had been made or a patent granted. Of course, it would eventually become necessary to establish a clear title by obtaining an official patent, but claims often changed hands several times before this occurred. As was commonly the case in pioneer families Timothy Perkins was joined in Illinois by relatives. In particular his brother, Jesse Alvin Perkins, came from Kentucky and settled west of Hennepin in 1834 and his first cousin, Stephen Thomas Perkins, came from North Carolina, and settled near La Moille in the spring of 1835. Even so, according to a published history of Lee County, Illinois, by the fall of 1837 Timothy Perkins and Horace Bowen were partners in a sawmill located at Rocky Ford on the Green River.13 It was evidently a primitive affair for which "a log dam created the mill pond, and the mill was run by a 'flutter-wheel.'" At present, this location can probably be identified with the bridge across the Green River on Rockyford Road about a mile south of the present town of Amboy and about twelve miles north of La Moille. Thus, it would seem that before 1840 Timothy and Mary Ann Perkins, again, moved further north since the household of Timothy Perkins appeared in the Lee County population schedule of the census of that year and consisted of nine individuals, viz., three adults and six adolescents or children. (Lee County was organized February 27, 1839, and adjoins Bureau County to the north.) Two of the adults, a male between fifty and sixty years of age and a female between forty and fifty, can be identified wih reasonable confidence as Timothy and Mary Ann. Likewise, the four youngest children or adolescents, a female less than five years of age, a male between five and ten, and a male and a female both between ten and fifteen years, were probably Timothy and Mary Ann's children, Eliza, Jesse, Mary Ann, and Robert; however, the identities of the three remaining individuals remain uncertain. It is probable that one of the two adolescent males between fifteen and twenty years of age was Timothy and Mary Ann's son, John, but they had no known son that could have corresponded to the other adolescent male. Similarly, the adult female between twenty and thirty years could have been a daughter, probably Martha Jane (Patsy) since she would have been twenty years old in April of 1840. Furthermore, transcribed civil records indicate that she married Thomas H. McDonald in Lee County on April 25, 1844 (although this date appears too late and other reseatchers report their marriage date as June 25, 1840).14 A further interesting detail is that the name, Lewis Perkins, appeared on the line immediately succeeding the name of Timothy Perkins in the population schedule, which implies that they were probably living in close proximity. Moreover, both Lewis Perkins and Warner Fallett (whose name appeared on the line following Lewis') were specifically marked in the population schedule as "transient". Within this context, it is a reasonable assumption that Lewis and Timothy Perkins were relatives, which further suggests that unidentified individuals living in Timothy Perkins' household may have been extended family members in the process of migration further west. In passing, it should be noted that "Perkins Grove" was, again, applied as an early place name in Lee County. Although, not entirely certain it would seem to refer to a location three or four miles south south west of the present village of Sublette just north of the Lee-Bureau County boundary.
Evidently, Timothy Perkins and various members of his family migrated west from Illinois to Gentry County, Missouri, sometime before 1850, since his household and the household of his son-in-law and daughter, Peter and Rebecca Perkins Harmon, appeared in the Gentry County population schedule of that year. Assuming that they all moved together, as was common practice for extended pioneer families, this chronology is supported by the birth places of the Harmon children as recorded in the population schedule, which indicate that the family moved to Missouri about 1843 or 1844. Concomitantly, it is known that Timothy's wife, Mary Ann, died on January 25, 1844; however, the location of her death is not known and could have been in either Illinois or Missouri. (It is believed by some descendants that Timothy's wife died in Bureau County; however, no documentation of this has been forthcoming.) Therefore, it is clear that in 1850 Timothy was a widower, living in Gentry County with his two youngest children, Eliza and Jesse. His daughter, Mary Ann, had married Lewis Russell in May of 1850 and was also living close by with her in-laws, William and Anna Russell. In addition, Timothy's son, John, and his wife, Serilda, were living in the Harmon household, and in all likelihood had been married only for a short time. Moreover, there is evidence from land records that Timothy's oldest son, Solomon, also moved to Gentry County sometime in the 1850's. (However, census records confirm that the household of Solomon Perkins remained resident in Illinois in 1850.) Within this context, Timothy Perkins was issued a patent for forty acres in Gentry County on July 1, 1857.15 This parcel was located about two miles southeast of the present town of Stanberry (which did not yet exist at that time) on the floodplain of Wildcat Creek just upstream from its confluence with the Walnut Branch. Several nearby parcels were patented by other members of his family. According to family records and oral tradition, Timothy Perkins died in the summer of 1859 in Gentry County. Although, there is no marker, it is believed that he was buried in the Cooper Cemetery. It would seem evident from contemporary records and subsequent accounts that Timothy Perkins must have been an energetic and enterprising individual who was of similar disposition as many other American pioneers. Naturally, ready availability of unclaimed land almost certainly motivated his migration from Virginia to Kentucky, then to Illinois, and finally to Missouri. Accordingly, he appears to have been a natural entrepreneur, who in addition to speculation with land claims, established at least two sawmills and, perhaps, other businesses as well. Indeed, he is described as being of a "roving disposition" who raised a "a large and respectable family". This is further illustrated by Matson's account of (and Timothy's involvement in) a mining company formed in Putnam County for the purpose of exploiting supposed deposits of lead ore. Unfortunately, these deposits did not exist, but the excitement the possibility engendered indicates the natural optimism of the pioneer, who among the hardships and vicissitudes of life, remained hopeful for any opportunity presented by the frontier. Of course, the importance of religious faith in pioneer communities extends back to the earliest settlements of New England and is reflected within the present context by the establishment of the La Moille Baptist Church on May 5, 1838, in which Timothy Perkins was evidently an original member. Although nothing definite is known, it seems likely that this was not a unique circumstance and that he was an active church member throughout his life.
1. David Andrew Sturgill, A Branch of the Sturgill Family - Vol. I, Piney Creek, NC, 1993: pg. 1. (previous editions: 1960 and 1983)
"While still an early teenager my paternal grandmother told me that our family name was originally pronounced STOD JULL. I was very surprised to learn that it had not always been Sturgill. During the years that followed I discovered that it had been spelled many ways, some of these were; Stogdell, Stodgell, Stoagil, Stogil, Stogel, Storgel, Storgil, Sturgin, Sturgeon, Stodghill, Stodghell, Stargil, Stargell, Storgin, Sturgel, and Sturgill. Today there are two main branches, these being Sturgill and Stodghill with variations of the spelling of these." (Vickie Sturgill Stevens, The Sturgill Genealogical Society, shadybanks.net/sturgill/dbook1.html, 2000.)
back to bio.
2. According to the work of Mr. Jeffrey Weaver: "Three companies of Grayson County Militia men served in the War of 1812, however, muster rolls for these companies have not been found. These companies saw some limited duty at Norfolk, Virginia in 1813 and 1814. A search of the Virginia State Library and Archives have not revealed a complete muster roll for the 78th Virginia Militia Regiment. The three companies were: Captain James Anderson's Riflemen, ordered to active duty on January 12, 1815, discharged February 8, 1815; Captain Timothy Dalton's Company in service from September 16 to October 15, 1813 at Norfolk; and Captain Lewis Hale's Riflemen in service from September 16, 1813 to March 10, 1814 at Norfolk. These companies were included in the 4th Virginia Volunteer Militia for purposes of command and control. Lieutenant Colonel Martin Dickenson was commander of the 78th Virginia Militia, having been commissioned on June 6, 1810; George Curris was commissioned Major on December 5, 1809; Abner Jones was commissioned major on October 15, 1810." ("Grayson County, Virginia in the War of 1812", Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes, www.newrivernotes.com/index.htm, 2015.)
back to bio.
3. Kentucky Land Grant; Grantee: Perkins, Timothy; 250 acres; County: Whitley; Water Course: Paint Lick Cr.; Survey Date: 2/Apr/1824: Grant Bk. R. (Willard Rouse Jillson, The Kentucky Land Grants - Vol. I, Part 1, Chap. VI, Filson Club Pub., Louisville, KY, 1925: pg. 680.)
back to bio.
4. Deed Summary: Indenture made on June 4, 1827, between Timothy Perkins and Mary Ann, his wife, and Nathan Richardson for the consideration of three hundred and twenty dollars, Timothy Perkins sold to Nathan Richardson two hundred and fifty acres on Paint Creek, patented on July 11, 1825. Deed witnessed by Andrew Craig, clerk (of Whitley County).
Survey Summary: Beginning at a black oak and poplar; N 3º E, 143 poles, to a black oak and white oak; S 26º E, 44 poles, to a beech; N 5º E, 58 poles, to two sugar trees; S 87º W, 20 poles, to a walnut; S 32º W, 32 poles, to a sassafras; S 41º E, 21 poles, to a beech; N 34º W, 54 poles, to a beech; S 19º W, 78 poles, to a white oak; S 9º E, 85 poles, to a stake; S 78º W, 33 poles, to a red oak; N 84º W, 46 poles, to a post oak; N 37º W, 55 poles, to a black oak; N 12º W, 141 poles, to a spanish oak and poplar; N 65º W, 26 poles, to two hickories; S 22º W, 30 poles, to a hickory and poplar; S 3º W, 74 poles, to a hickory and gum; S 16º E, 76 poles, to two hickories; N 88º E, 14 poles, to a poplar and walnut; S 31º W, 48 poles, to a dogwood and black gum; S 85º W, 102 poles, to a white oak; S 6º E, 41 poles, to a poplar; N 86º E, 240 poles to a stake; S 78º W, 143 poles, crossing Paint Creek to four chesnut oaks on the point of a ridge; S 64º E, 73 poles, to a buckeye; N 49º W, 24 poles, to a hickory; N 1º W, 7 poles, to a white oak and maple on a small branch; N 24º E, 64 poles, to the beginning.
Recorded: June 17, 1827. (Deed Bk. 1, 1818-1822, Whitley Co., KY, pg. 171.)
back to bio.
5a. H. C. Bradsby (ed.), History of Bureau County, World Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1885: pgs. 87-91.
"RECORDS MADE BY OLD SETTLERS. ... The subject of Old Settlers' Meetings was first agitated in Bureau County as early as 1861. ... And just here we note it with pleasure, this early agitation of the subject of Old Settlers' Meetings resulted as early as 1865 in the organization of an Old Settler's Society, which continues in active and vigorous existence to this day. ... Pursuant to this circular address of E. S. Phelps, a meeting of old settlers wau convened at Converse Hall, Princeton, February 22, 1865. ...
February 22, 1867, another large meeting was held in the same place, John H. Bryant, Chairman, and Elijah Smith, Secretary; C. G. Reed, Vice-President; T. W. Nichols, L. J. Colton, E. S. Phelps, Jr., and Col. J. T. Thomson, Executive Committee.
The following is the record, as gathered at this meeting of the early settlers, commencing with the year 1828. In addition to the 151 names handed in we have gathered such as we find in the records and added them:
1828.--Mrs. Sarah Stratton, nee Baggs, widow of Abram Stratton, still living in the county; Mr. and Mrs. George Hinsdale (Mrs. Hinsdale was a niece of Henry Thomas, and a member of his household); Mr. and Mrs. Ira Jones. Also on the records are the names of Smiley Shepherd, 1828, and Nelson Shepherd, 1829, and Williamson Durley, 1831, (Putnam County men).
1829.--Abram Stratton ..., Amos Leonard, Daniel Dimmick, Timothy Perkins, Leonard Roth, William Hoskins, John Clark, Reason B., John and William Hill.
1830.-- Charles S. Boyd, William Hoskins, James G. Forristal, Nicholas Smith, John M. Gay, Mrs. John M. Gay, M. Kitterman, Sylvester Brigham, the Searle family.
1831.--E. S. Phelps, Mrs. Anna W. Phelps, E. Hiiisdale Phelps, Mr. and Mrs. Elijah Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Eli Smith, Nicholas Smith, John Cole, Fredrick Moseley, D. P. Smith, Dwight, Smith, Nicholas Smith, George Hinsdale, E. H. Phelps, Daniel Jones ..., Abram Jones, Mary Jones, Daniel Smith, Henry George (killed in Hall massacre), Roland Moseley, John Musgrove. ..."
b. ibid: pg. 110.
"The grove (i.e., Perkins Grove) was named after Timothy Perkins, who made and sold claims from the mouth of Bureau to Perkins' Grove. He went finally to Missouri where he died in Gentry County. He was of a roving disposition; reared a large and respectable family."
c. ibid: pg. 116.
"First Mill.-- In 1829 Timothy Perkins and Leonard Both came and settled near Leepertown Mills. In 1830 William Hoskins, John Clark and John Hall (bought Dimmick's claim) and made a large farm. Dimmick removed to LaMoille, where he lived two years and sold out and left the country.
In the summer of 1830 Amos Leonard (millwright) built a gristmill on East Bureau, about eighty rods above its mouth."
d. ibid: pg. 141.
"In the fall of 1833 Mr. Leeper sold his farm and moved into Bureau County and bought an unfinished saw-mill of Timothy Perkins, on Bureau Creek, one and one-half miles northwest of Bureau Junction. At the land sales of 1835, 900 acres of land were entered around this mill site, and the saw-mill was finished and a flouring-mill and other machinery was added, and completed in the fall of 1835, and was considered one of the finest mills in the State, and sawed the lumber and ground the wheat and corn, and carded the wool for the people for fifty miles around."
e. ibid: pg. 56.
"Bureau County in the Black Hawk (War).--At the time of this war the county was all Putnam, and it is only by selecting out of the lists furnished by Putnam County, we are enabled to give the names of nearly all who went from what was afterward Bureau County. Captain George B. Willis, of Hennepin, raised a company for the Fourth Brigade, Fortieth Regiment, commanded by Col. John Strawn. This was mustered out of service at Hennepin, June 18, 1832, George B. Willis, Captain; Timothy Perkins, First Lieutenant; Samuel D. Laughlin, Second Lieutenant. Among the privates who were afterward citizens of this county were John Cole, Williamson Durley, Joel Doolittle, James G. Foristal, Aaron Gunn (now living in La Salle); John Hall, William Hoskins, Michael Kitterman; Robert A. Leeper, Charles Leeper, these were brothers of H. B. Leeper, now residing in Princeton; Roland B. Moseley, John Moore; Elijah Phillips, who was killed by the Indians, June 18; Daniel Prunk, whose son is now living in Tiskilwa; Joseph W. Rexford; Solomon and Leonard Roth, brothers, one of whom is still living; Nelson Shepherd, still living; George P. Wilmouth, John Williams, Curtis Williams and Hoskin K. Zenor."
back to bio.
6a. Nehemiah Matson, Reminiscences of Bureau County, Republican Book and Job Office, Princeton, IL, 1872: pg. 295.
"The first wedding celebrated within the limits of Bureau county, took place in the summer of 1830, and the parties were Leonard Roth and Nancy Perkins, a daughter of Timothy Perkins. The license was obtained at the county clerk's office in Peoria, and the parties were married by Elijah Epperson. There were some doubts about Mr. Epperson's authority to administer the marriage rite, as it was obtained through his church relation some years before, while living in Kentucky, but there was no authorized person, at that time, living within fifty miles of them, and the legality of the marriage was never questioned."
b. ibid: pgs. 278-81.
"SETTLEMENT OF LEEPERTOWN AND HOSKINS' PRAIRIE. It has already been stated that Amos Leonard and Daniel Dimmick settled on the Hoskins' prairie in the summer of 1829, and were, therefore, the first settlers, with one exception, in the eastern part of the county. A few weeks after they came to the county, Timothy Perkins and Leonard Roth (the latter a single man), came to Bureau, and built a cabin near the present site of Leepertown mills. In the spring of 1830, John Hall came in the settlement, bought the claims of Leonard and Dimmick, and on them he made a large farm. In the fall of the same year Wm. Hoskins and John Clarke made claims in this vicinity, and became permanent settlers. Dimmick, having sold his claim, went to Dimmick's Grove (now La Moille), where he lived two years, and then left the country. During the summer of 1830, Amos Leonard, who was a mill-wright by trade, built a grist mill on East Bureau, about eighty rods above its mouth. The mill was constructed with round logs, twelve feet square, and all its machinery, with a few esceptions, were made of wood. The mill stones were dressed out of boulder rocks, which were taken from the bluffs nearby, and the hoop they ran in was a section of a hollow sycamore tree. This mill, when in running order, would grind about ten bushels per day, but poor as it was, people regarded it as a great accession to the settlement, and it relieved them of the slow process of grinding on hand mills, or pounding their grain on a hominy block. Settlers east of the river, as well as those living near the mouth of the Fox river, patronixed Leonard's mill, and it is now believed that it was the first water mill built north of Peoria.
In 1831, Henry George, a single man who was killed in the Indian creek massacre, made a claim, and built a cabin, on the present site of Bureau Junction. In 1833, John Leeper bought Perkins' claim, and few years afterward built a large flouring mill, which received much patronage from adjoining counties. Quite a village (called Leepertown), grew up at this mill; but in 1838 the mill burned down and the village went into decay.
In 1834, a number of emigrants found homes in this locality, among whom were David Nickerson, John McElwain, James Howe, Charles Leeper, and Major Wm. Sheilds. As early as 1832, a number of persons had settled in Hoskins' neighborhood, among whom were Daniel Sherley and Gilbert Kellums. In 1834 the large family of Searl came here, where many of their descendants continue to live.
MOSELEY SETTLEMENT. In August, 1831, Roland Moseley, Daniel Smith, and John Musgrove, with their families, came to Bureau, the two former were from Massachusetts, and the latter from New Jersey, having met by chance while on their way to the west. The emigrants ascended the Illinois river in a steamboat as far as Naples, and finding it difficult to obtain passage further up the river, they left their families there, and made a tour through the country in search of homes. Hearing of the Hampshire Colony on Bureau, Mr. Moseley directed his course thither, and being pleased with the country, he selected a claim. At that time Timothy Perkins claimed, for himself and family, all the timber and adjoining prairie, between the Arthur Bryant's and Caleb Cook's, but he agreed to let Mr. Moseley have enough for two farms, on condition of selling him some building material. A few months previous to the time of which we write, Timothy Perkins and Leonard Roth had built a saw mill on Main Bureau, ashort distance below the present site of McManis' mill. This was the first saw mill built within the limits of Bureau county, and with one exception, the first north of Peoria.
Mr. Moseley marked out his claim, cutting the initials of his name on witness trees, and contracting with Mr. Perkins, to furnish him, on the land, some boards and slabs for a shanty, after which he returned to Naples to report his discovery."
c. ibid: pgs. 49-51.
"AN OLD LAND MARK. Everybody has noticed the little round grove, south of the Princeton Court House, where Mrs. Cyrus Bryant now resides. This beautiful little grove, occupying, as it does, a slight eminence, and isolated from the main timber, was a noted land mark in the early settlement of the county, being everywhere known as Round Point. The fine rolling prairie, lying to the north and east, at that time unobstructed by houses and farms, presented a beauty of landscape scenery seldom met with in any other section of the country. By the side of Round Point once passed an Indian trail, which had been traveled for ages by warriors and hunters; and the first wagon track ever made on the Princeton prairie led to it. In 1831, when the settlers on Bureau were fleeing from the country to escape the tomahawk and scalping knife of the savages, they halted at Round Point, and sent two of their number to confer with Shaubena in relation to remaining longer at their homes. There is a history connected with this little grove, which may be not without interest to the reader, and therefore will be given, without note or comment. In the spring of 1830, a man from Ohio, by the name of Henry Simmons, came to this country in search of a home. He stopped for a few days with Timothy Perkins; who lived in Leepertown; and accompanied by Leonard Roth, he made a number of excursions along Bureau timber in search of a claim. Many localities were examined, but none pleased him so well as Round Point. Although there was but one family living in Princeton township, (that of Mr. Epperson), many claims were taken--the claimant cutting the initials of his name on the witness-tree, at the section or half mile corner. This was considered a preliminary step, and by common consent of the settlers, it would secure the right of the claimant to the land, until such time as a cabin could be built. There were many claims made in this way for the purpose of speculation, and with the expectation to selling them to new comers. A man having a number of sons would make claims for all of them, and sometimes for sons in prospect, or for some imaginary friend, who was expected to come soon into the country. From this cause, bad feelings among neighbors frequently occurred, some of whch were settled by arbitration. It was a common saying in those days, that Adam Paine, who lived east of Hennepin, had claimed all the land between the Illinois and Wabash rivers, and Elijah Epperson all between the Illinois and Mississippi.
MURDERING OF SIMMONS. Simmons made claims in the grove for himself and all of his sons, and to make his intentions known to others in search of claims, he cut the initials of his name, H. S.,' deep into the wood of a witness-tree, at the south west corner of the south east quarter of section twenty, which initials, I believe, are still to be seen. Simmons had spent some days looking after corners, marking witness-trees, and had taken formal possession, (for himself and his sons), of all the timber and adjoining prairie between Princeton and Deacon Reeve's. After spending some time exploring the country, Simmons made arrangements to return home by way of Peoria; and early in the morning he bade farewell to the Perkins' family, mounted his horse and left, going by way of his claim to make some further discovery; and while in the grove, west of the present residence of Mr. Douglas, unconscious of danger, the report of a rifle was heard, and he fell lifeless to the ground, pierced to the heart by a rifle ball."
d. ibid: pgs. 326-8.
"EARLY SETTLEMENT OF LA MOILLE AND PERKINS' GROVE. On the 19th of May, 1830, Daniel Dimmick made a claim a short distance south of La Moille, on what is now known as the Collins' farm, and from that time the head of Main Bureau timber took the name of Dimmick's Grove. In the fall of 1830, William Hall made a claim and built a cabin on the present site of La Moille, and occupied it about eighteen months. In April, 1832, Mr. Hall having sold his claim to Aaron Gunn, moved to Indian creek, twelve miles north of Ottawa, where himself and part of his family were killed by Indians a few weeks afterwards. At the commencement of the Black Hawk War, Dimmick left his claim, and never returned to it again, and for two years Dimmick's Grove was without inhabitants; the cabins and fences went to decay, and the untilled land grew up in weeds. When Dimmick fled the grove, he left two sows and pigs, which increased in a few years to quite a drove of wild hogs, that were hunted in the grove years afterwards, and from them some of the early settlers obtained their supply of pork.
In the spring of 1834, Leonard Roth, Greenberry Hall, and Dave Jones, made claims in the grove, and for a short time Timothy Perkins occupied the Dimmick cabin. In July of the same year, Jonathan T. Holbrook, Moses and Horace Bowen, settled in the grove. Mr. Holbrook and Moses Bowen bought Gunn's claim, and made farms. In the fall of 1834, Enos Holbrook, Joseph Knox, and Heman Downing settled in the grove. In the spring of 1836, Tracy Reeve and Dr. John Kimball bought Moses Bowen's farm, and laid off La Moille. Mr. Bowen had previously made a survey of the town, but made no record of it when he sold to the above named parties. The town was originally called Greenfield, but was afterwards changed to its present name, on account of obtaining a post office.
Joseph Knox, on leaving Dimmick's Grove, located at a point of timber which was afterwards known as Knox's Grove. One night, while Mr. Knox and hsi sons were absent, two young Indians came to his house, probably without any evil intentions, but it frightened the women so they fled on foot for Dimmick's Grove, eight miles distant. Next morning these two young Indians, accompanied by their father, came to Dimmick's Grove to give an explanation of their visit to the house the night before. There were present, Leonard Roth, J. T. Holbrook, and Dave Jones. With the two former the explanation of the Indians was satisfactory, but with the latter it was different. Jones ordered one of the Indians to lay down his gun, and with a long stick he whipped him severely.
In 1834, Timothy Perkins and sons claimed all of Perkins' Grove, and sold out claims to those who came in afterwards. The first house that was built in the grove, was on a farm now owned by John Hetzler, and it was occupied by Solomon Perkins and Elijah Bevens. The second house was built near the present residence of A. G. Porter, and occupied by Timothy Perkins. Part of the roof of this house was composed of deer skins, and the door and windows were filled with the same material.
Joseph Screach, Stephen Perkins, and Mr. Hart, settled on the west side of the grove in the spring of 1835. J. and A. R. Kendall, J. and E. Fassett, were among the early settlers of Perkins' Grove. In 1842, a post office named Perkins' Grove was established, but was discontinued some years afterwards."
back to bio.
7. Newton Bateman and Paul Selby (eds), The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois, Munsell Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1902-1914: pgs. 611-2.
"At this point the really active stage of the campaign began. Black Hawk, leaving the women and children of his band in the fastness of the swamps, divided his followers into two bands, retaining about 200 under his own command, while the notorious half-breed, Mike Girty, led a band of one hundred renegade Pottawatomies. Returning to the vicinity of Rock Island, he gathered some recruits from the Pottawatomies and Winnebagoes, and the work of rapine and massacre among the frontier settlers began. One of the most notable of these was the Indian Creek Massacre in LaSalle County, about twelve miles north of Ottawa, on May 21, when sixteen persons were killed at the Home of William Davis, and two young girls--Sylvia and Rachel Hall aged, respectively, 17 and 15 years--were carried away captives. The girls were subsequently released, having been ransomed for $2,000 in horses and trinkets through a Winnebago Chief and surrendered to sub-agent Henry Gratiot. Great as was the emergency at this juncture, the volunteers began to manifest evidence of dissatisfaction and, claiming that they had served out their term of enlistment, refused to follow the Indians into the swamps of Wisconsin. As the result of a council of war, the volunteers were ordered to Ottawa, where they were mustered out on May 28, by Lieut. Robt. Anderson, afterwards General Anderson of Fort Sumter fame. Meanwhile Governor Reynolds had issued his call (with that of 1831 the third,) for 2,000 men to serve during the war. Gen. Winfield Scott was also ordered from the East with 1,000 regulars although, owing to cholera breaking out among the troops, they did not arrive in time to take part in the campaign. The rank and file of volunteers responding under the new call was 3,148, with recruits and regulars then in Illinois making an army of 4,000. Pending the arrival of the troops under the new call, and to meet an immediate emergency, 300 men were enlisted from the disbanded rangers for a period of twenty days, and organized into a regiment under command of Col. Jacob Fry, with James D. Henry as Lieutenant Colonel and John Thomas as Major. Among those who enlisted as privates in this regiment were Brig-Gen. Whiteside and Capt. Abraham Lincoln. A regiment of five companies, numbering 195 men, from Putnum County under command of Col. John Strawn, and another of eight companies from Vermilion County under Col. Isaac R. Moore, were organized and assigned to guard duty for a period of twenty days."
"Aside from contemporaneous newspaper accounts, monographs, and manuscripts on file in public libraries relating to this epoch in State history, the most comprehensive records of the Black Hawk War are to be found in the 'Life of Black Hawk,' dictated by himself (1834); Wakefield's 'History of the War between the United States and the Sac and Fox Nations' (1834); Drake's 'Life of Black Hawk' (1854); Ford's 'History of Illinois' (1854); Reynolds' 'Pioneer History of Illinois'; and 'My Own Times'; Davidson & Stuve's and Moses' Histories of Illinois; Blanchard's 'The Northwest and Chicago'; Armstrong's 'The Sauks and the Black Hawk War,' and Reuben G. Thwaite's 'Story of the Black Hawk War' (1892.)" (Cristy Thompson, Illinois History, freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hallhistory/illinois_history.htm, 2001.)
back to bio.
8. THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA; To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting: Whereas, In pursuance of the Act of Congress, approved March 3, 1855, entitled "An Act in addition to certain Acts granting Bounty Land to certain Officers and Soldiers who have been engaged in military service of the United States," there has been deposited in the GENERAL LAND OFFICE, Warrant No. 14,334 for 160 acres, in favor of Timothy Perkins Lieutenant Captain Willis' Company Illinois Militia Black Hawk War with evidence that the same has been duly located upon the South East quarter of Section Six in Township Eighty Eight North of Range Thirty West, in the District of Lands Subject to sale at Fort Dodge Iowa, Containing one hundred and sixty acres according to the Official Plat of the Survey of said Lands returned to the GENERAL LAND OFFICE by the SURVEYOR GENERAL, the said Warrant having been assigned by the Said Timothy Perkins to Lewis M. Olcott, in whose favor said Tract has been located
NOW KNOW YE, That there is therefore granted by the UNITED STATES unto the said Lewis M. Olcott, as aforesaid and to his heirs the tract of Land above described: TO HAVE AND TO HOLD the said tract of Land with the appurtenances thereof, unto the said Lewis M. Olcott, as assignee as aforesaid and to his heirs and assigns forever.
In Testimony Whereof, I, James Buchanan, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, have caused these Letters to be made Patent, and the Seal of the General Land Office to be hereunto affixed. GIVEN under my hand, at the City of Washington, the Fifteenth day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty nine and of the Independence of the United States the eighty third. BY THE PRESIDENT: James Buchanan; By T. J. Albright Sec'y; J N. Granger Recorder of the General Land Office (Military Bounty Land Warrant No. 14334; Vol. 27, pg. 190, Bureau of Land Management, Washington, DC, issued 15 Apr 1859. (BLM GLO Records, http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx, 2016.))
back to bio.
9. John Spencer Burt and W. E. Hawthorne, Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, The Pioneer Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1907: pgs. 144-5.
"While there were a considerable number of settlers at this time in the country east of the (Illinois) river there was none on the west side and it was determined to so arrange matters that should the Indians come this way they might be stopped at the river. Companies of volunteers were raised and ordered to rendezvous on May 20th, at 9 a. m., at Columbia, now Lacon, and at 3 p. m. at Hennepin. All the settlers, with scarcely an exception, responded with such arms as they could muster and were mustered into service as rangers. Colonel John Strawn of Columbia had before been appointed colonel and took command.
Colonel Strawn had an original way of choosing his officers. He simply asked those who wished to be officers to advance ten paces to the front and wheel, and then desired the men to cluster around the men they wanted for officers, and the man who had the largest cluster was appointed.
Four companies were formed, one at Columbia and three at Hennepin, though the Hennepin companies were not mustered in till the next day, May 21, 1832.
The Columbia company consisted of Robert Barnes, captain; William McNeil, first lieutenant; John Weer, second lieutenant; eight non-commissioned officers and thirty-four privates.
Company No. 1 at Hennepin: George B. Willis, captain; Timothy Perkins, first lieutenant; Samuel Loughlin, second lieutenant; eight non-commissioned officers and fifty-two privates.
Company No. 2: William Haws, captain; James Garvin, first lieutenant; William M. Hart, second lieutenant; eight non-commissioned officers and twenty privates.
Company No. 3: William M. Stewart, captain; Mason Wilson, first lieutenant; Livingston Roberts, second lieutenant; seven non-commissioned officers and twenty-six privates.
At the time the soldiers were being raised the settlers began building block houses and 'forts,' three of these were in what is now Marshall county; the forts were made of logs about twelve feet long set upright close together, in the ground. At the corners square bastions were built, pierced with port holes so that the face of the wall could be enfiladed in case of attack.
One of these was on the farm of Mr. James Dever on the edge of Round Prairie and about six miles southeast of Columbia. It was about one hundred feet from east to west and eighty feet north and south. In it was the cabin of Mr. Dever and several tents were pitched in it for the accomodation of those who fled there during the alarms.
Two miles south of Magnolia there was a similar fort on the farm of Jesse Roberts, where seven or eight families found protection, and there was another near the head of Sandy Creek. These were all in the present territory of Marshall county, but there were a number on the Ox Bow Prairie, one on the farm of J. W. Willis where twenty-one families, including one hundred children, were housed at one time.
The precautions taken will give some little idea of the state of feeling of the settlers during that summer. There were no Indian attacks in Putnam county, east of the river, but the tension was such that the least unusual noise like the firing of a gun or the supposed cry of Indians would send all skurrying to the forts. It is very probable however, that the completeness of the defenses deterred the Indians from crossing the river to make an attack. Once or twice they were observed scouting around on the east side, but no hostile demonstration was made.
But one man in Putnam county, large as it was at the time, was killed during the war. That was a man by the name of Phillips, who, with several others, went over into what is now Bureau county to look after their cattle.
They remained overnight in the cabin of a Mr. Ament and when Mr. Phillips went to go over to his own cabin, but a short distance away, he was shot by the Indians as he stepped out of doors, the others remained in the cabin till help came from Hennepin, when the Indians disappeared.
This was the last trouble the settlers of Putnam county had with the Indians." The assertion made here that there were no settlers on the west side of the river does not agree with other sources and, moreover, is not internally consistent with the later reference to cabins belonging to Mr. Ament and Mr. Phillips being located west of the Illinois River. Nevertheless, there certainly were very few settlers on the west side as compared to the east side and those that were there possibly owned property on both sides and may have moved back and forth frequently under the circumstances.
back to bio.
10a. George B. Harrington, Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois, The Pioneer Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1906: pgs. 125-6.
"Leepertown contains only about one-half the area of that of a congressional township. It borders on the Illinois river, and is very irregular in shape. It was named after John Leeper, the father of H. B. Leeper, of Princeton. The first settler was Timothy Perkins. Following him came David Nickerson, David S. Miller, Jesse Perkins, Charles Leeper. N. H. Averill was one of the early settlers, and many years a supervisor. At one time West Hennepin, opposite Hennepin, had quite a number of warehouses. Stevens & McConihe did quite a business then shipping grain and pork, but when the Rock Island railroad went through West Hennepin gave up the struggle for life, and today no trace of its former glory is left. There has been a ferry across from this point to Hennepin since 1831. In the forties this was quite a shipping point. Bureau Junction, now called Bureau, is located at the junction of the Peoria branch of the Rock Island with the main line. It is a small village, and is what we call a railroad town, as most of the people are connected in some way with the railroad. Leepertown, including Bureau village, contained a population of 715; Bureau village 545."
b. ibid: pgs. 111-2.
"Clarion, the northeast corner township of Bureau county, is like La Moille, a fine agricultural township. The farms are well improved and show evidence of thrift on every hand. The population is largely of German extrication and they are noted for industry, frugality and economy. The first settlers were Timothy Perkins, who came in 1833; Solomon Perkins and Elijah Bevans. The first house built in the township was long occupied by John Hetzler. The A. G. Porter place was first improved by Timothy Perkins. The roof, or at least quite a large part of it, was covered with deer skins, and the doors and windows were also filled with the same material. The township is drained by Bureau and Pike creeks. Joseph Search came in 1834, and Stephen Perkins in 1835. A Mr. Hart also settled on the west side of the grove in 1835. In 1836, J. R. Kendall improved land on section 4, afterwards knows as the Stanard place. 1837 found John Clapp and Martin Hopp among the arrivals. In 1838, a number of families settled in this township, among them were Joseph Allen, Hiram Johnson, Franklin Walker, Moses Dix, C. L. Dayton, Harvey Childs, Solomon Williams and others. A. G. Porter, David Wells and Theodore Babson were among the very early settlers, also Joseph and Elisha Fassett. It is said, by parties claiming to know, that Mr. James Sampson, who afterwards lived in Amboy, passed through Clarion as early as 1821, on an exploring expedition, his real destination being the Galena lead mines. Several years later he came back on the same route and stopped a short time at what was known as Picayune Grove; this grove received its name from the finding of a skeleton there many years ago, and near it was found a thimble and some thread, also a silver picayune (6 ¾ cents). There was nothing to identify the body, but from the fact that these things were found near the remains it was thought that he might have been a tramp tailor, who was either murdered or fell by the wayside. Clarion is noted for having the smallest pauper bill, and also for having the smallest amount of delinquent taxes of any township in the county. The population by census of 1900 was 705." Stephen Perkins was a first cousin of Timothy Perkins, i.e., son of Jabez Perkins' brother Timothy, Jr., and the individual of whom Ms. Eleanor Baker Reeves states that along with his wife and family, "In 1833 they moved to the Great Forest of Illinois where their cousin Timothy (Jabez son) in County had gone first." Solomon Perkins was almost undoubtedly Timothy's oldest son. (Nancy Piper, Pipers Pages, www.piperspages.com/Bureau/ClarionTwp.html, 2004.)
c. ibid: pgs. 112-3.
"La Moille is one of the best townships in Bureau county. It has an intelligent and progressive citizenship. She has always been an important factor in the affairs of the county. From 1857 to 1898, the township of La Moille had the honor of furnishing the county treasurer for twenty-five out of the forty-one years. The first settler is supposed to be Daniel Dimmick, who laid a claim a little south of the village on May 19, 1830; this claim was on what was known for a long time as the Collins' farm, and the timber near him was known as Dimmick's Grove. In the fall of this year, Mr. William Hall made a claim where La Moille is now located; he lived there a little over one year, when he sold to Aaron Gunn, and moved to Indian Creek, in La Salle county, about twelve miles north of Ottawa where he with part of his family, fell victims of the terrible massacre at that place a short time after his arrival; two of the daughters escaped death, but were carried away prisoners by the Indians. Matson says in his history: "At the commencement of the Black Hawk war, Dimmick left his claim and never returned to it again, and for two years Dimmick's Grove was without inhabitants; the cabin and fences went to decay, and the untilled land grew up in weeds. When Dimmick fled from the grove he left two sows and pigs which increased in a few years to quite a drove of wild hogs that were hunted in the grove years afterwards, and from them some of the early settlers obtained their supply of pork.' In 1834, Leonard Roth and David Jones came; in July of this year Jonathan Holbrook and Horace Brown settled at the grove. Perkins' Grove and La Moille settlements were so closely united that it is difficult to separate them. In the fall of 1834 Joseph Knox, Greenbury Hall, Moses A. Bowen arrived. In 1835, Benjamin Townsend, Robert Masters and other settlers in and near the immediate vicinity of La Moille. In 1836 Tracy Reeve and Dr. John Kendall came and bought the Bowen farm and laid it off into lots and gave it the name of Greenfield, but it was afterwards called La Moille. In 1842 a post-office named Perkins Grove was established, but it was soon discontinued. In 1839 La Moille was excited over a proposed railroad, and some of the grading was done, but the enterprise was never carried out. Among the men who came on the scene a little later should be mentioned R. B. Frary, Elisha Fassett, Ellis Wood, John Crossman, Joseph Allen, James J. Hopkins, and Dr. Daniel Jones. All were citizens of character and ability and will be remembered as men who gave life and stability to that community. La Moille has had several small manufacturing establishments within her borders. The village of La Moille was first incorporated as a village under the laws in force prior to 1872, in February 25, 1867, and in 1888 under the laws in force since July 1, 1888. The corporation contained by census of 1900, 576 people. It has a fine brick school building well supplied with modern apparatus. The building contains six school rooms and a fine audience hall and was the gift of Mr. Joseph Allen. La Moille is noted for being in the natural gas belt. Quite a number of her citizens heat and light their houses with this gas. It is a township of thrifty farmers and good homes. The population, including the village of La Moille, according to the census of 1900, was 1,345; the village numbered 576."
d. ibid: pg. 70.
"The La Moille Baptist Church was organized on May 5, 1838, by Rev. Thomas Parnell, Rev. Henry Headly, Aaron Gunn, and James Graw. The original members were John Hetzler, Timothy Perkins, Adam and Mary Spaulding, Joseph and Mary Fassett, Moses and Eliza Bowen and J. T. Holbrook. It was the strongest church in the Ottawa Association for many years and one of the strongest in the state outside of Chicago. Considerable wealth is represented and the benevolences have been phenomenal. Many strong men and women, whose religious life began in this church have gone to the east and west, to the north and south, and are now taking prominent part in the religious work in their respective communities. Thus the little church organized sixty-eight years ago has set in motion influences which are continually expanding."
back to bio.
11a. School Land Sale: April 29, 1834. 0.29 Acres: Lot 165 (Original Town Plat of Henry) in Section 16, Township 13 North, Range 10 East of Principal Meridian 4 in Marshall (formerly Putnam) County, Illinois. Purchaser: Timothy Perkins; Rate: $1.00 per acre; Price: $0.29. (Field General Land Office Register, Vol. 817, pg. 143, Illinois State Archives, Springfield, IL, 1957. (Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database, http://www.ilsos.gov/isa/landsrch.jsp, 2015.))
b. School Land Sale: April 29, 1834. 0.29 Acres: Lot 285 (Original Town Plat of Henry) in Section 16, Township 13 North, Range 10 East of Principal Meridian 4 in Marshall (formerly Putnam) County, Illinois. Purchaser: Timothy Perkins; Rate: $1.50 per acre; Price: $0.44. (Field General Land Office Register, Vol. 817, pg. 145, Illinois State Archives, Springfield, IL, 1957. (Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database, http://www.ilsos.gov/isa/landsrch.jsp, 2015.))
c. School Land Sale: April 29, 1834. 0.29 Acres: Lot 286 (Original Town Plat of Henry) in Section 16, Township 13 North, Range 10 East of Principal Meridian 4 in Marshall (formerly Putnam) County, Illinois. Purchaser: Timothy Perkins; Rate: $1.88 per acre; Price: $0.55. (Field General Land Office Register, Vol. 817, pg. 145, Illinois State Archives, Springfield, IL, 1957. (Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database, http://www.ilsos.gov/isa/landsrch.jsp, 2015.))
back to bio.
12a. The United States of America; Preemption Certificate No. 141; To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting: Whereas Timothy Perkins, of Putnam County, Illinois has deposited in the General Land Office of the United States, a Certificate of the Register of the Land Office at Galena whereby it appears that full payment has been made by the said Timothy Perkins according to the provisions of the Act of Congress of the 24th of April, 1820, entitled "An Act making further provision for the sale of Public Lands," for the East half of the South West quarter of Section seven, in Township fifteen North, of Range ten East, in the District of Lands subject to sale at Galena, Illinois, containing eighty acres, and ten hundreths of an acre according to the official plat of the survey of the said Lands, returned to the General Land Office by the Surveyor General, which said tract has been purchased by the said Timothy Perkins.
Now Know Ye, That the United States of America, in consideration of the Premises, and in conformity with the several acts of Congress, in such case made and provided, Have Given and Granted, and by these presents Do Give And Grant, unto the said Timothy Perkins and to his heirs, the said tract above described: To Have And To Hold the same, together with all the rights, privileges, immunities, and appurtenances, of whatsoever nature, thereunto belonging, unto the said Timothy Perkins and to his heirs and assigns forever.
In Testimony Whereof, I, Martin Van Buren, President Of The United States of America, have caused these Letters to be made Patent, and the Seal of the General Land Office to be hereunto affixed. Given under my hand, at the City Of Washington, the first day of August in the Year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight and of the Independence Of The United States the sixty third. By The President: Martin Van Buren; By M. Van Buren, Jr. Secretary; Jos. S. Wilson, Acting Recorder of the General Land Office ad interim (US Land Patent Certificate No. 141; IL, Vol. 426, pg. 125, Bureau of Land Management, Washington, DC, issued 1 Aug 1838. (BLM GLO Records, http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx, 2016.))
Federal Land Sale: June 20, 1835. 80.1 Acres: East Half of Southwest Quarter of Section 7, Township 15 North, Range 10 East of Principal Meridian 4 (Leepertown Township) in Bureau (formerly Putnam) County, Illinois. Purchaser: Timothy Perkins; Rate: $1.25 per acre; Price: $100.13. (Field General Land Office Register, Vol. 708, pg. 141, Illinois State Archives, Springfield, IL, 1957. (Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database, http://www.ilsos.gov/isa/landsrch.jsp, 2015.))
b. The United States of America; Preemption Certificate No. 263; To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting: Whereas Timothy Perkins, of Putnam County, Illinois has deposited in the General Land Office of the United States, a Certificate of the Register of the Land Office at Galena whereby it appears that full payment has been made by the said Timothy Perkins according to the provisions of the Act of Congress of the 24th of April, 1820, entitled "An Act making further provision for the sale of Public Lands," for the West half of the North West quarter of Section twenty five, in Township eighteen North of Range ten east, in the District of Lands subject to sale at Galena, Illinois, containing eighty acres according to the official plat of the survey of the said Lands, returned to the General Land Office by the Surveyor General, which said tract has been purchased by the said Timothy Perkins.
Now Know Ye, That the United States of America, in consideration of the Premises, and in conformity with the several acts of Congress, in such case made and provided, Have Given and Granted, and by these presents Do Give And Grant, unto the said Timothy Perkins and to his heirs, the said tract above described: To Have And To Hold the same, together with all the rights, privileges, immunities, and appurtenances, of whatsoever nature, thereunto belonging, unto the said Timothy Perkins and to his heirs and assigns forever.
In Testimony Whereof, I, Martin Van Buren, President Of The United States of America, have caused these Letters to be made Patent, and the Seal of the General Land Office to be hereunto affixed. Given under my hand, at the City Of Washington, the first day of August in the Year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight and of the Independence Of The United States the sixty third. By The President: Martin Van Buren; By M. Van Buren, Jr. Secretary; Jos. S. Wilson, Acting Recorder of the General Land Office ad interim (US Land Patent Certificate No. 263; IL, Vol. 426, pg. 223, Bureau of Land Management, Washington, DC, issued 1 Aug 1838. (BLM GLO Records, http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx, 2016.))
Federal Land Sale: June 25, 1835. 80 Acres: West Half of Northwest Quarter of Section 25, Township 18 North, Range 10 East of Principal Meridian 4 (Lamoille Township) in Bureau (formerly Putnam) County, Illinois. Purchaser: Timothy Perkins; Rate: $1.25 per acre; Price: $100.00. (Field General Land Office Register, Vol. 708, pg. 163, Illinois State Archives, Springfield, IL, 1957. (Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database, http://www.ilsos.gov/isa/landsrch.jsp, 2015.))
back to bio.
13. Frank E. Stevens, History of Lee County, The S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1914: pgs. 271-2, 277.
"A sawmill had been built in this township much earlier than in other sections of the county. When (in October of 1837) Mr. Searls (Asa B. Searles) first came here Timothy Perkins and Horace Bowen operated one at Rocky Ford, but later in the year, it was transferred to a man named Lee. After a brief career, Lee sold to Mason. The latter died and John Von Arnam (or Van Norman) secured it. In 1848, Frederick R. Dutcher purchased it."
"Rocky Ford was settled early aud became the center of manufacturing interests without being platted. The old Indian trail from west to east crossed the river here. Timothy Perkins settled here lirst. He and Horace Bowen erected a sawmill, which passed successively into the hands of Lee, Mason, Von Arnam (or Van Norman) and Dutcher. In 1849, Frederick R. Dutcher platted the property and named the plat, Shelburn. The river was the dividing line. Dutcher erected a distillery at once and in 1853, he added a store. Jacob Doan next year put in another store."
back to bio.
14. The 1844 marriage date and location as Lee County is derived from civil records transcribed by Jordan Dodd. Moreover, the bride's was given as "Palsey Perkins", which plausibly was erroneously transcribed instead of "Patsey". Alternatively, the 1840 date is asserted in the research of Judia and Ralph Terry and, concomitantly, seems more consistent with census records of 1900 in which Thomas and Martha McDonald indicated that they had been married for sixty years. In addition, the household of Porter and Sarah J. McDonald, apparently Thomas' and Martha's son and daughter-in-law, appeared in the population schedule on lines immediately above and, furthermore, it was indicated that Porter had been born in March of 1843. Likewise, the population schedule of the 1850 US Census for Bureau County reveals an older son, Lewis, who was nine years of age and, hence, would have been born about 1841. Clearly, all of this is consistently supportive of the earlier marriage date; however, it would seem likely from chronological considerations that Thomas and Martha Perkins McDonald were married in Lee County. Nevertheless, census records of 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, and 1900 indicate that Thomas and Martha McDonald lived continuously with their family in Greenville Township in Bureau County and were the parents of five children, viz., Lewis R., Porter C., Mary E., George, and John.
a. Dodd, Jordan, Illinois Marriages to 1850, Ancestry.com, Provo, UT, 1997 & Dodd, Jordan, Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860, Liahona Research, Provo, UT, 2004. (Available online at www.ancestry.com)
b. There is no indication as to the original source of the marriage date of Thomas McDonald and Martha Perkins in the Terry research, but it may be presumed to have come from family sources. (Ralph Terry; database - capenoch; worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com, 2007.)
c. Both Thomas and Martha McDonald were still living in Bureau County in 1900. (1850 US Census Population Schedule for Bureau County, Illinois, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 220A, (microfilm: roll M432_99; img. 72); 1860 US Census Population Schedule for Bureau County, Illinois, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 473, (microfilm: roll M653_158; img. 474); 1870 US Census Population Schedule for Bureau County, Illinois, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 286A, (microfilm: roll M593_190; img. 255); 1880 US Census Population Schedule for Bureau County, Illinois, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 548B, (microfilm: roll T9_177; img. 227); & 1900 US Census Population Schedule for Bureau County, Illinois, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 236B, (microfilm: roll T623_239; img. 147).)
d. Anonymous, Atlas of Bureau County and the State of Illinois, Warner & Beers Pub., Chicago, IL, 1875.
T. McDonald: 1) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 10; SE¼ of SW¼ - 40 acres. 2) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 10; SW¼ of SE¼ - 40 acres. 3) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 15; NE¼ of NW¼ - 40 acres. 4) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 15; NW¼ of NE¼ - 40 acres. 5) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 15; strip off the S side of the NW¼ of SW¼ - 10 acres.
e. Anonymous, Plat Book of Bureau County, Illinois, Geo A. Ogle & Co., Chicago, IL, 1892.
T. McDonald: 1) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 10; SE¼ of SW¼ - 40 acres. 2) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 10; SW¼ of SE¼ - 40 acres. 3) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 15; NE¼ of NW¼ - 40 acres. 4) Twp. 18 N; Rng. 7 E; Sec. 15; NW¼ of NE¼ - 40 acres.
back to bio.
15. The United States of America; Certificate No. 16,033; To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting: Whereas Timothy Perkins, of Gentry County, Missouri, has deposited in the General Land Office of the United States, a Certificate of the Register of the Land Office at Plattsburg whereby it appears that full payment has been made by the said Timothy Perkins according to the provisions of the Act of Congress of the 24th of April, 1820, entitled "An act making further provision for the sale of Public Lands," for the North West quarter of the North West quarter of Section nine, in Township sixty two, of range thirty two, in the District of Lands subject to sale at Plattsburg, Missouri, containing Forty acres. according to the official plat of the Survey of the said Lands returned to the General Land Office by the Surveyor General, which said tracts have been purchased by the said Timothy Perkins, Now know ye, that the United States of America, in consideration of the premises, and in conformity with the several acts of Congress in such case made and provided, Have Given and Granted, and by these presents Do Give and Grant, unto the said Timothy Perkins, and to his heirs, the said tracts above described: To have and to hold the same, together with all the rights, privileges, immunities, and appurtenances, of whatsoever nature, thereunto belonging, to the said Timothy Perkins, and to his heirs and assigns forever. In Testimony Whereof, I, James Buchanan, President of the United States of America, have caused these Letters to be made Patent, and the Seal of the General Land Office to be hereunto affixed. Given under my hand, at the City of Washington, the First day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty Seven and of the Independence of the United States the Eighty first. By The President: James Buchanan; By Wm. Flinn Asst Secretary; J. N. Granger Recorder of the General Land Office (US Land Patent Certificate No. 16033; MO, Vol. 475, pg. 121, Bureau of Land Management, Washington, DC, issued 1 Jul 1857. (BLM GLO Records, http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx, 2016.))
back to bio.
15. 1820 US Census Population Schedule for Whitley County, Kentucky, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 122, (microfilm roll - M33_28; img. 133).
16. 1830 US Census Population Schedule for Peoria County, Illinois, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 300, (microfilm roll - M19_24; img. 579).
17. 1840 US Census Population Schedule for Lee County, Illinois, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 222, (microfilm roll - M704_63; img. 110).
18. 1850 US Census Population Schedule for Gentry County, Missouri, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 196B, (microfilm roll - M432_399; img. 381).
19. Grayson County Personal Property Tax List of 1810, Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA, (microfilm: roll - Personal Property Tax Records #139). (Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes, www.newrivernotes.com/index.htm, 2015.)
20. Bettye-Lou Fields, Grayson County: A History in Words and Pictures, Grayson County Historical Society, Independence, VA, 1976: pgs. 61-3. ("Antebellum Grayson County, Virginia Militia", Jeffrey Weaver (tr), New River Notes, www.newrivernotes.com/index.htm, 2015.)
21. Deed Bk. 1, Whitley Co., KY, pgs. 130 & 133.
22. Minute Bk. 1, 1818-1822, Whitley Co., KY, pgs. 15 & 156.
23. Anonymous, Atlas of Marshall Co. and the State of Illinois, Warner & Beers Publishers, Chicago, IL, 1873.
24. Russell-Perkins Family Record, unpublished MSS.
25. Illinois Black Hawk War Veterans, Illinois State Archives & Illinois Genealogical Society, Springfield, IL, 2016. ("Illinois Black Hawk War Veterans Database", www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases/blkhawk.html)
26. Newton Bateman, Paul Selby, and A. C. Bardwell (eds), The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Lee County, Munsell Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1904: pg. 633.
27. Walnut Cemetery, Bureau County, Illinois (www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2184735&CScn=Walnut&CScntry=4&CSst=16&CScnty=695&, continuously updated).
Return to Index