Father: James M. (Mallard or
Mother: Bettie Elizabeth Sherwood Pfister
Spouse: Mary Alice Smith
b:: 26/Jul/1902 - Gentry Co., MO
d: 12/May/1984 - bur: High Ridge Cem., Stanberry, Gentry Co., MO
m: 4/Feb/1928 - Grant City, Worth Co., MO
Child-1: Wallace Dene
2: James Laverne
3: Doris Ruth - b: 26/Mar/1932 - Gentry Co., MO
d: 17/Dec/2011 - North Kansas City, Clay Co., MO - bur: High Ridge Cem., Stanberry, Gentry Co.
m: Charles Edwin Hill - 10/Dec/1954 - Mendon, Chariton Co., MO
4: Lloyd Wayne - b: 30/Oct/1934 - Gentry Co., MO
d: 18/Dec/1967 - Jackson Twp., Gentry Co., MO - bur: High Ridge Cem., Stanberry
5: Ralph Lewis Samuel
6: Lois Elizabeth
7: Virginia Ann
8: Virgil Gale
Samuel William Johnson, known familiarly as "Sammie", was the youngest son of Jim and Bettie Johnson.1 He was born when his father was about eighty years old. Sammie married Mary Alice Smith in 1928 and they were the parents of eight children.2 Sadly, their son Lloyd died in a hunting accident when he was only thirty-three years of age. For most of their lives, Sammie and Mary resided in Jackson Township of Gentry County, Missouri, about half a mile northeast of Island City on land that appears to have been originally purchased by his father in 1869. They are both buried in the High Ridge Cemetery in Stanberry.Source Notes and Citations:
1. "Samuel "Sammie" William Johnson, 85, died Sept. 1, 1991, at Heartland East
Hospital, St. Joseph.
Johnson was born Oct. 3, 1905 at Island City to the late James Mallard and Betty Elizabeth Sherwood Johnson.
He married Mary Alice Smith Feb. 4, 1928, at Grant City. She died May 12, 1984.
He was a farmer and a member of the Island City Christian Church and Odd Fellows Lodge.
Johnson was preceded in death by a son, Lloyd Johnson; a brother, Sherman Johnson; and three sisters, Dollie Johnson, Lula Johnson and Elsie Martin.
Surviving are three daughters, Lois Hawkins and Doris Hill, Kansas City; and Ann Jones, Liberty; four sons, Dene Johnson, Darrouzette, Texas; James LaVerne Johnson, Clarksdale; and Virgil Gale Johnson, Liberty; sister, Beulah Johnson, Stanberry; 13 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Services were Sept. 4 at Island City Christian Church, with burial in High Ridge Cemetery, Stanberry." (obituary: Albany Ledger-Headlight; Albany, MO, Wed., Sep. 11, 1991.)
back to bio.
2. "March 26, 1932 - Dec. 17, 2011 Doris R. Hill, 79, of Pleasant Valley, MO, passed away at NorthCare Hospice House, visitation from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Funeral service following on Tuesday, December 20, at White Chapel Funeral Home, 6600 N. Antioch Rd., Gladstone, MO.
Burial at High Ridge Cemetery, Stanberry, MO, Wednesday, December 21, at 1 p.m.
Preceded in death by her husband of 42 years, Charles Hill; a brother, Lloyd Johnson; and her parents, Sammie and Mary Johnson.
Survived by her son, Kevin; daughter- in-law, Jenny; 3 grandsons: Justin, Brandon, and Charlie; 2 step granddaughters, Ashlie and Sammi; 3 great grandchildren: Felix, Carson, and Anthony; 4 brothers: Dene, Jim, Ralph, and Virgil Johnson; 2 sisters, Lois Hawkins and Ann Jones; brother-in-law, Bill Hill; numerous nieces and nephews; great nieces and nephews; and numerous friends
She retired from KCP&L as a switchboard operator after 25 years. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to NorthCare Hospice House, 2800 Clay Edwards Dr., NKC, MO 64116 or Island City Christian Church, 4340 397th St., Stanberry, MO 64489. Fond memories and condolences for the family may be left at: www.dwnwhitechapel.com. (Arrangements by D.W. Newcomer's Sons White Chapel Funeral Home, 6600 N. Antioch Rd., Gladstone, MO 64119, 816-452-8419) D.W. Newcomer's Sons Funeral Homes, Cemeteries, Crematories." (obituary: Kansas City Star, Kansas City, MO, Sun., Dec. 18, 2011.)
back to bio.
3. 1930 US Census Population Schedule for Gentry County, Missouri, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 112A, (microfilm: roll T626_1188; img. 225).
4. 1940 US Census Population Schedule for Gentry County, Missouri, National Archives, Washington DC: pg. 135A, (microfilm: roll T627_2106; img. 636).
5. Don Raymond,"High Ridge Cemetery", unpublished. (Gentry County MOGenWeb Archives, 2005.)
6. High Ridge Cemetery, Gentry County, Missouri (www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1367686&CScn=High+Ridge&CScntry=4&CSst=26&CScnty=1434&, continuously updated).
7. Death Master File, Social Security Administration, Washington, DC, continuously updated.
8. Nadine McCampell, Johnson Family History, The Printery, Albany, MO, 1982: pgs. 297-308.
Return to Index