Publications & Presentations
- J. Poracsky and H. Chang. 2007. “Cartography and the Teaching of Quantitative Methods.” Annual Meeting of the North American Cartographic Information Society, St. Louis, MO.
- J. Poracsky, P. Paul, W. Larimer and D. Banis. 2006. "South Park Blocks: Portland’s Cultural, Historical and Educational Center.” Portland, OR, CSAR, PSU Geography Department. Map: 27 x 27 inches, 1 inch = 125 feet.
- J. Poracsky. 2006. “A Visualization Approach to Teaching Quantitative Methods,”Annual Meeting of the Association of Pacific Coast Geographers, Eugene, OR.
- J. Poracsky and D. Banis. 2005. Street Trees in the Urban Forest Canopy: Portland, Oregon. Final Project Report, Prepared for Oregon Department of Forestry - Urban and Community Forestry Program and USDA Forest Service; 30 pp. plus Appendices.
- J. Poracsky and M. Lackner. 2004. Urban Forest Canopy Cover in Portland, Oregon: 1972 - 2002. Final Project Report, Prepared for Portland General Electric and City of Portland Urban Forestry Commission; 32 pp. plus Appendices.
- J. Poracsky and M. Lackner. 2004. “Sheltering the Metroscape: Assessing the Urban Forest,” Metroscape, Institute of Portland Metropolitan Studies, Winter: 13-19.
Poracsky and M. Lackner. 2003. "Urban Forest Canopy Collaboration
in Portland, Oregon." Proceedings, Public Participation
GIS Conference, URISA, Portland, OR, July 20-22, 2003, 473-81.
Poracsky. 2000. "The Emerald Compass" and "The South Park
Blocks," in Michael C. Houck and M. J. Cody, eds., Wild in
the City: A Guide to Portland's Natural Areas, Oregon
Historical Society Press, Portland, OR. pp. 13-16, 93-96.
Poracsky. 1999. "Multi-Scale Inventory of Portland, Oregon's
Urban Forest," in Building Cities of Green, Proceedings of
American Forests 1999 National Urban Forest Conference, Seattle,
WA, August 31-September 3, 1999, pp. 164-167.
Poracsky, J. Gillen, D. Saulter and K. Wilson. 1999.
"Youth-Based Tree Inventory and
GIS Analysis for Urban Ecosystem Education." 8th
Cary Conference, Institute for Ecosystem Studies, Millbrook,
Poracsky and M. Scott. 1999. "Industrial Area Street Trees
in Portland, Oregon." Journal of Arboriculture 25(1):9-16.
project with students from Metropolitan Learning Center, Portland
Parks and Recreation, Portland General Electric, and P. Reynolds.) 1996.
"Trees of Couch Park: A Map and Brief Description of the History
of One of Portland's Most Unique Urban Parks."
Poracsky and L. Waggoner. 1995. "Street Trees in a Residential
Portland Neighborhood." Oregon Academy of Science, 53rd
Annual Meeting, Portland, OR.
Poracsky and M. Houck. 1994. "The Metropolitan Portland
Urban Natural Resource Program," in R. H. Platt, R. A. Rowntree
and P. C. Muick, eds., The Ecological City: Preserving
and Restoring Urban Biodiversity, The University of Massachusetts
Press, Amherst, MA. pp. 251-67.
Poracsky. 1991. "The Portland-Vancouver Natural Areas Inventory:
Photo Interpretation and Mapping," in Wildlife Conservation
in Metropolitan Environments, National Institute for Urban
Wildlife, Columbia, MD, 231-235.